Whats with this weather ????

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Re: Whats with this weather ????

Post by Greynomad »

Yesterday, Rutherglen scored a 28* balmy day...
Then the wind sprang up about 1600h and developed into a howling gale with rain by 2300h!
Ripped branches off our roses & threw them 30ft!
Today we have a 60% chance of rain, and a f'cast max of 22*... although, it now being 1600h, I don't think we'll top the current 18*... :|
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Riverlander

Post by Riverlander »

What a blast of winter again. Had about 15 mm rain at Loxton and most of that in 10 minutes. Very patchy as it was mostly in storms passing through. Just about heater night again. I bet it is colder down south. Heard there has been a lot more rain through Victoria.
Cheers John
Dot

Post by Dot »

Going to be worse tonight and off to the city in the am, hope no prangs on the freeway.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

Lovely weather today and I hope to have some more tomorrow 🙏
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

well after years of sending us your crappy weather, mannumites and croweaters in general, here comes some from good ol southern vic. Enjoy! :lol:
Riverlander

Post by Riverlander »

Hi. Another 27mm of rain last night and a lot more wind. Just been over to Berri and back and noticed quite a few 3 year old almond trees have blown over. Heard they had 200mm of rain at Eldorado Vic. Cheers John
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I left the 'safety' of the Marina and have tied up to a few gum trees out in the river just before this woolly weather arrived.
Each time the speed of the wind increased I tied an extra rope onto an extra tree!
At present I look like a fly caught in the middle of a spiders web!!
The strong wind held the river back & we ended up a couple of feet higher which then pushed us up onto the bank.
This morning during a slight easing of the wind speed I fired up the motor and am now back floating. (each end!!)
In a day or so we'll be back to 35 degrees so they forecast!!
Any water in your yard Ray? Did junior Maggie survive OK?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Well, the island and peninsula that appeared on the bank of the river after the deforestation event have started sprouting green again, but the dirt part is under water now. Quite a strangle look with white top breakers passing over the top of the green sprouts and all a few feet off shore now. The water is probably high enough to float a house boat in there at the moment, but it might become a permanent landmark when the wind drops and the water drains away again :lol:
No doubt by the time the water drains and the mud solidifies enough to walk on, the forest of reeds will be that thick I can't cut them down and we will be back to where we were before :roll:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

BruceS wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:11 pm Any water in your yard Ray? Did junior Maggie survive OK?
:roll:
Half the topsoil from our back yard ended up spread all over the carport!
There’s a riverbed cut the whole length of the drive. Gullies to be backfilled above the roundabout. Roses denuded of flowers.
Took me three hours to shovel the mud from the carport. Threw it back over the (internal) fence where it came from...
Maggie and her three babies survived, albeit somewhat soggy. Spent today rushing about the back yard gobbling worms brought to the surface by the flooding of their underground homes. :P
Still wait by the barrel for their breakfast bread, though. :D
Hume Hwy under water near Wangaratta. All traffic is being diverted to the Murray Valley Highway, which is our street. Semis & B-Doubles, as well as hundreds of cars are running down our Main St, which was laid down in 1860... and is barely wide enough for two trucks to pass without touching mirrors.
A caravanner’s nightmare! No way I would take Girt into town right now... :shock:
... even if I COULD find a gap in the traffic to get her out of the driveway!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

Hume Hwy under water near Wangaratta.

I remember when they did that raising of the highway many years ago.
Raised the highway above the natural flood plain and then somehow forgot to put in enough big culverts and drains.
Every year since then it's held back the water and caused massive flooding.

Nothing like an engineer that doesn't listen to the locals.

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.