Thought for Today

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Riverlander

Re: Thought for Today

Post by Riverlander »

My mum is turning 100 in August and her childhood girlfriend is still alive at 100.5. They must have been made of good stuff.
Cheers John
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Cast iron in those days John hope they both enjoy more to come cheers Robert
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Greynomad wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:22 pm Well, I think we bearly covered that topic.
Shall we move on?

One good thing about reaching your 100th birthday: no peer pressure... 8-)
Or, perhaps hibernate for a while.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Riverlander wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:54 pm My mum is turning 100 in August and her childhood girlfriend is still alive at 100.5. They must have been made of good stuff.
Cheers John
Hey, John,
Great news!
I hope you give her a great big (but gentle) hug!!

... and keep the fire extinguisher close when you light the candles on her birthday cake 🎂... :D
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Wish her a happy Birthday and congratulation from us John. I was amazed I was still waking up in the mornings after turning 64, I'm the only surviving member of my immediate family and it won't be too many yrs before I wake up to celerbrate more birthdays than any of them.
My thought for today:
Celebrate every birthday, the more you have the longer you live :D
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Elections are events where people find out what the politicians stand for,
... and the politicians find out what the people will fall for.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Politicians are employed by the people, why don't they have work contracts and performance appraisals by their employers more often than once every 4 yrs?
If they were employed on the grounds they contracted to do a certain task yet failed to do that task, it is breach of contract and any moneys received by that politician should be subject to review regarding the level of competence they showed during their contract term.

With these conditions put into practice and enforced, would we get anyone standing for the second election once they witnessed what could happen if they were not fully honest with their campaign talk?
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
Isn’t “honesty” and “political campaign” in the same sentence an oxymoron?
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:51 pm T1,
Isn’t “honesty” and “political campaign” in the same sentence an oxymoron?
Ahh, but I was careful not to put those two bits in the one sentence :lol: However, I did make the mistake of putting politician and competence in the one sentence and depending on what grounds you base competence, it could have been an oxymoron, but if you use the base line of a politician's normal method of operation, it could be construed they all act in a certain level of competence acting as a politician ... ummm.... :?

That brings up the thought for today:
If saying to contradictory terms together in the one sentence is referred to as an Oxymoron, what do you call a person using an oxy torch in a manner that indicates no thought was put into the safety aspect or job outcomes? e.g. a demolition worker cutting the last beam that is both holding the roof up where he is standing and the wall that will no doubt fall on the workers outside ....
I'm sure I've seen a You Tube video of just such an action, but I can't find it
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

The biggest problem with our political system as I see it is that as soon as an election is over it becomes standard procedure for all media & the opposition to immediately begin trying to stop the elected party from doing anything, good or bad, and to try to 'bring them down' ASAP.
It should be in the constitution that the opposition should support the elected party provide the best governance possible until at least 3 months before the next election.
My preference would be for no party politics at all.
Maybe we're not supposed to discuss it on here!! (smack & apology)
BruceS
Mannum, SA