Australian Trivia Only

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Shirley

Re: Australian Trivia Only

Post by Shirley »

Ray being the culprit George then he owes me several boxes of lamingtons :lol:

Ok Ray, is the guy that you are after Colonel Francis Phillip Serong ? AKA Colonel Ted Serong ?
Shirley & Bruce.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Shirley wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:47 pm Hey Ray are you the guy that owes me lamingtons from another forum trivia a few years ago? :lol: :lol: they were a bonus but I never did receive them. :D
Didn't he email them to you? Certainly would require two boxes to emailed to you by now.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Terry if he is the lamington man, he would owe me more than two boxes of lamingtons. :lol: :lol: only trouble is they would now need to be gluten free. :D
Shirley & Bruce.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Shirley wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:47 pm Hey Ray are you the guy that owes me lamingtons from another forum trivia a few years ago? :lol: :lol: they were a bonus but I never did receive them. :D
The short answer is "NO".

That's also the long answer. :D

I have not participated in any other forums, apart from the once-deceased-and-now-zombie-version forum of a well-known motorhome club. And I never offered lamingtons as a bonus prize... only points. (Not redeemable for anything at all useful. :P )

OK... that's the long answer. ;)

BTW, Shirley, it's your turn.

I thought it would take a while for anyone to find that info... where did you get it from?
I had to read through to p88 in Paul Ham's book, "Vietnam, the Australian War" before I found what I thought was some obscure info for a question.

and a ps: Even Paul's book doesn't give his serial number... that was just a bluff. :lol:

Useless Fact: Do you know who recruited him to go to Vietnam and why?
The CIA paid for Col. Serong to go there to prepare a report on the war to try to convince the Oz govt to send some troops. His report wasn't quite what they expected. He said it was "worse than he had been led to believe and worsening". He said the Saigon troops (trained by Americans :roll: ) had "taken a bucket to a bushfire", adding that if Australia sent troops "We would probably lose some, tactically. We may lose the lot, strategically."
Smart man.
Unfortunately, as often happens, politics got in the way of common sense and solid advice. :cry:

Another Useless Fact: Col. Serong later established and commanded the Canungra Jungle Training Centre in Qld. They even trained Yanks there later, when it became obvious they didn't have a clue about jungle warfare tactics... wearing after-shave & taking transistor radios on patrol!! :roll:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Ray, I just Googled Vietnam war & started reading. :D
Dennis my neighbor was a conscript, he was forward scout, wounded & died 7 days later in field hospital, he had only been in Vietnam 6 weeks, he was one of the first to loose his life, he died in 1967, I grew up with him, it was a very sad time, he was 21 yrs old.

I will have to find a new trivia question.
Shirley & Bruce.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

What was the name of the longest roaming bushranger & where would you find his grave.
Shirley & Bruce.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

William Westwood
Ranged from Essex, UK, to NSW (courtesy of an HM Prisons travel voucher), moved on to Van Diemans Land (also courtesy of HM Prisons Travel Agency), then to Norfolk Island (with the same travel agent), where he was eventually hanged & buried after leading a prison riot & breakout in which he murdered three guards/police.

Not sure what he had in mind after escaping the prison buildings, after all he was on a remote island... maybe he thought he was halfway back to England and planned to steal a rowboat and row back home... :? :roll:

However, he must have realised that killing three guards would really put a kink in his prospects if/when he was caught.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

No Ray, very interesting read re William Westward but according to my source he was not the longest roaming bushranger in Australian history.
Shirley & Bruce.
Macca

Post by Macca »

Capt Thunderbolt. Uralla
Time is passing too quickly so live life to the full with your spouse/partner while you still have she/he by your side.
http://bkmcl.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/o ... m-24-2-13/#
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Shirley wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:30 pm No Ray, very interesting read re William Westward but according to my source he was not the longest roaming bushranger in Australian history.
Didn't think you could beat a UK-Tasmania-Norfolk Island beat! :?
Are we restricting 'longest' to mean mainland Australia?
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields