Avian Visitors

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Avian Visitors

Post by Greynomad »

We have so far counted 42 species of birds visiting us at various times of the year.
One of our semi-regulars is a pair of Kookaburras. Normally they sit on a stump near our back fence, and will bolt if they see us moving about in the house.
This afternoon, one of them worked up enough courage to visit the birdbath close to the house in the front garden.
And he/she sat still long enough for us to get a photo!! :P
Kookaburra.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Avian Visitors

Post by BruceS »

Wonderful Ray! If he/she keeps returning you might think about a little treat for him/her??
I wonder what they prefer? I reckon a few fat worms would do it or even a little red meat?
Laughing at you at day break might wear a little thin after a while though?
Wouldn't worry Bernie or Bob!!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Riverlander

Post by Riverlander »

Hi. Looks like you have quite a nice spot there. Noticed your yellow tree and was wondering if it was a wattle or one of these we have. Without any care it has taken off and now big enough to walk around inside. It now has fairly insignificant yellow flowers and the bees just love it.
Cheers John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Ray, whatever you do, don't give them them mince. Unless you have minced it yourself. The artificial colour that most mince has added, to make it look pretty while on the shelf, doesn't help our feathered friends. Cut a few end strips off a piece of steak or dig them a few worms as Bruce suggests. Once they get used to you, they will reward you with a song or two. And then you can post a few more pics.
I'm not sure why, but there seems to be more kookas about this year, my DIL from Melb has made comment recently about their numbers. Maybe we are doing something right with the environment! I hope so!
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Its the colour of the fluo light they use that enhances the colour of the meat David , every butcher shop use them .
I worked in a butcher shop .
Bernie .
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

If I dug up some worms for the Kookaburra, Maggie our semi-tame magpie would be very cross!
All our worms belong to her!
As we rarely buy mince from the supermarket, that’s not a problem.
I’ll keep the Kookaburras in mind next time we have steak...
;)

John,
Not sure of the name of that tree. We know it is definitely NOT a Wattle.
We call it “Hazel’s tree”, because our neighbor Hazel,across the street in Melbourne, had a beauty in her front garden.
Ours matches your description, so it’s probably the same type.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

From what little I know, I believe it is the preservitives in the mince that cripples young Maggies ,stuffs up leg growth is the tale I have heard...???

The joint I’m renting now the old coger next door feeds the Maggie clan... has a caravan too :shock:

So I hate to imagine what the Mags do then when he nicks off for a mumff or two...???

The odd treat,fair enough, but every day... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Vik...
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Maggie (along with all the other avian residents & blow-ins) gets half-a-slice of bread chopped into crumbs every morning. She normally only takes 2~3 pieces. The rest goes to the Noisy Mynahs, Crested Pigeons, Crowned Babblers, Galahs, Blue-Faced Honeyeaters, and whoever else is in town.
While it supplements their normal diet, it's not their only food source. Maggie is often too busy hunting worms after the rain to come & get the bread.
When we're away, they have to eat 'normal' food only. No sweat. They're not dependent on us for survival.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

I have to keep our screen door across or our resident kooka sits on the balcony for awhile & then flys into the house & if the door is left open the magpies walk inside, we have heaps of birds visit.
Shirley & Bruce.
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

While in WA, V something,forgot the name (was 1990 :roll: ) the bloody Kookas were that cheeky they would steal your snags off the bbq...

Vik... which they did...!!! :cry:
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)