Charity caution

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Dot

Re: Charity caution

Post by Dot »

Also makes one wonder how they can do those cataract ops for $25 and yet we get charged thousands or have a waiting lists of years??
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Dot, I reckon most of those $25 surgeries are done by vollies and we subsidise them by paying full price. Fair trade I reckon, because no-one deserves to be blind, especially if it can be easily repaired.
Best thing anyone can do is become a blood donor, if you are able. That way 100% of your donation goes to some poor bugger who really needs it. All it takes is around an hour per visit.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

supersparky wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:14 pm Dot, I reckon most of those $25 surgeries are done by vollies and we subsidise them by paying full price. Fair trade I reckon, because no-one deserves to be blind, especially if it can be easily repaired.
Best thing anyone can do is become a blood donor, if you are able. That way 100% of your donation goes to some poor bugger who really needs it. All it takes is around an hour per visit.
Agree with that David I would not cope if I went blind and as for blood donation, they don't want mine but the people that do donate are just amazing.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

X 2 David.

Agree re them not able to take blood from some - me included.

At first, I thought my blood must be kinda special after my first quadrupal bypass... then, when I went to give blood again I was knocked back, the reason given was that once I'd received blood I could no longer - ever - donate blood again.

Still feel that I want too... :roll:
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Ditto here.
WAS a regular donor from age 18, but Myeloma put paid to that at age 46.
Now, the Red Cross don’t want me 😢, but they’re right... my blood is too dangerous to share now.
I need them more than they need me. 😜
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

All you people that have donated blood in the past should NEVER feel bad about no longer being allowed to any longer. You are all champions. It's the young ones of the 'me me me' generation that need to get off their butt and help out a bit.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
homeless

Post by homeless »

I was banned after doing work overseas in Abattoirs.
Instant dont come here as we cant use your blood except for research and they can extract some products, but they stated they had no trouble getting that as there was a lot of blood they get they cant use either because they dont pass the tests or they are stored too long.
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Chuck wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:04 am X 2 David.

Agree re them not able to take blood from some - me included.

At first, I thought my blood must be kinda special after my first quadrupal bypass... then, when I went to give blood again I was knocked back, the reason given was that once I'd received blood I could no longer - ever - donate blood again.

Still feel that I want too... :roll:
Strange that eh. When I was in my 20's I had a rather serious motorbike accident and they pumped bags of whole blood into me while on the operating table so I didn't bleed out. I thought I should at least become a donor to repay the gift but no, same deal, because I'd had blood transfusions I was not allowed to donate blood. 40 something yrs later you'd think that blood was well and truly a thing of the past, but no, still can't donate :? I've certainly spilled a bit over the yrs though :roll:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

I was stopped doing it after my heart attack. Said my heart was under enougth strain with out coping with them taking blood every 6 weeks. Robert