Canadian press comments on Electric Powered vehicles...

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Chuck

Canadian press comments on Electric Powered vehicles...

Post by Chuck »

I have no interest in elec vehicles at this stage... posted this simply because I was not previously aware of the cost factor - if, in fact it is accurate.

"Canadian Press Comments on Electric Powered Vehicles – Interesting!!

It would seem that if electric cars do not use gasoline, they will not participate in paying gasoline tax on every gallon that is sold for automobiles, which was enacted some years ago to help to maintain your roads and bridges. They will use the roads, but will not pay for their maintenance!

Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile has never been discussed. All you ever hear is the mpg in terms of gasoline, with no mention of the cost of electricity.

Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power cars, yet it is being shoved down your throats. Glad somebody finally put engineering and math to paper.

A British Columbia Hydro executive was quoted as saying: "If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, you have to face certain realities. For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. Many houses are equipped with only 100 amp service. On a small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a Tesla. If even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded."

This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Your residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So as your genius elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are you being urged to buy these things and replace your reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but you will
also have to renovate your entire delivery system! This latter "investment" will not be revealed until you're so far down this dead end road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS!' and a shrug.

A man named Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.” Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.

The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned. If you pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery. $18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.

Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $20,000 while the Volt costs $46,000-plus.

It looks like the “Greenies” in the American Government want loyal Americans NOT to do the math, but simply pay three times as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country."
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Canadian press comments on Electric Powered vehicles...

Post by T1 Terry »

:lol: Never let the truth get in the way of propaganda :lol: This person is either directly affected or paid to write for someone who is directly affected in the wallet by the demise of the petrol/diesel fuelled vehicle.
Mis-direction like this piece of total nonsense:
Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power cars, yet it is being shoved down your throats. Glad somebody finally put engineering and math to paper.
No back up papers or thesis, but if you say engineering and math together in one sentence, then who can dispute it? The fact that the internal combustion engine is 20% efficient if used as the only form of motive power but when combined with battery electric it can be up to 38% efficient https://www.greencarreports.com/news/10 ... 38-percent and the claims a diesel engine can do similar was before the VW scandal hit the headlines. You can't get the required torque or kW output and meet emissions and return 38% efficiency, that is why all the vehicle manufacturers are abandoning the diesel engine for small to medium vehicle use.
The electric motor how ever is far more efficient and the electric motors used in electric vehicles are 3 phase induction motors driven by a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) to gain the max torque and efficiency possible as well as use the same motor for regenerative braking. Here is a link to efficiencies required by the NEMA standards for electric motor design and construction and a requirement for all production electric vehicles https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/elec ... d_655.html Check out the minimum efficiency for an electric motor over 125kW and then add that these motors and controllers are liquid cooled to improve their efficiency.

There is no factors for the cost of extracting the oil from the well, transporting it to a refinery, then transporting it to the point of sale, this appears to happen for free and is 100% carbon neutral, yet the very dirtiest method of generating electricity is the base model for powering the charger for an electric car.
This bit:
A British Columbia Hydro executive was quoted as saying: "If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, you have to face certain realities. For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. Many houses are equipped with only 100 amp service. On a small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a Tesla. If even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded."
Electric home chargers run of either a 10 amp or 15 amp powerpoint, so where does this nonsense about a 75 amp service come from? The whole argument is based around you accepting this nonsense as fact.
In reality the newer electric vehicles being rolled out this yr and onwards will actually have the ability to act as a battery storage facility for solar and be able to carry the household through a blackout and through the peak energy periods so those on metering that have peak power tariffs much higher than no peak power periods can actually turn the supply off when they get home with the car and run of the on board battery, then recharge during the cheap off peak period, or if it's mums taxi it will be there all day getting recharged from free solar electricity.
This nonsense:
According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.
A 15kW solar array would have it recharged in a bit more than an hr, not 10 hrs. Does mum use the shopping trolley/taxi to travel 270 miles a day? The Hyundai Ioniq just released takes 30 mins to recharge from a fast charger, will travel around 280km at highway speed with hills and 330km city driving. The next model to be released later this yr will have a highway range of 400km and take 45 mins to recharge to 80% SOC so add another 320km before it requires the next recharge. How many drive more than 720km a day and stop for less than a 45 min break half way? Even if you did, you would need another 45 min break and then you can continue on to make the days total of 1,040km. Basically, start out with a fully charged battery from Sydney, drive to Albury, 45 mins for lunch and then drive on to Melbourne. Or, drive to Wagga, 45 mins for lunch, 30 min stop at Hay, 30 min stop at Mildura and over night at Remark because it has been a 14 hr day and you've travelled 12,000kms. But if you are up to it or are sharing the driving, another 30 min stop and charge top up and then on to Adelaide.

It will be a rare thing to find a new non hybrid vehicle on the market within 5 yrs, another 5 yrs and I doubt you will be able to buy or afford a non electric vehicle.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BillieBlue

Post by BillieBlue »

Why don't they make electric cars with the shell of the vehicle a solar panel . 8-)
Billie Blue
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

BillieBlue wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:06 am Why don't they make electric cars with the shell of the vehicle a solar panel . 8-)
:lol: They do, they race from Darwin to Adelaide each yr :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

Was working at Darwin Uni in 1990 when the first solar race was on... OMG... :o

They was makin their bug there and I was checkin it out 8-)

Couldnt believe the fancy alloy frame it was made of, it was soo light I could lift it on the end of me knob... :P :twisted: :roll:

Strong too... they tested it at Hidden Valley race track with semies roaring past em...

Yep. Fun place Darwin back then, havent been since ... :cry:

Vik...
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Chuck, as Ti says, you have to do the real maths regarding electric vehicles and it is no different to the propaganda surrounding lifepo4 and other lithium. The 19th century experts will find any excuse possible to maintain their grip on world markets, they are still running down lifepo4 claiming it won't down what it has already done for many of us.

I don't have an electric car, but do know someone who does and they did the conversion themselves, so it is a basic setup ad not computerised like production line vehicles. According to them and from what I've seen the car does the job and is recharged at his work during the day from a standard 240v plug and the cost is a pittance compared to what it used to cost him to drive his petrol car every day. No idling in traffic and wasting fuel.

Driving in it is a dream, so quiet and smooth and has a range of just over 200klm. He has driven it the length of Tas, to Sydney and back, they even plugged it in for him on the ferry and didn't charge him and he recharged at stops and his over night accommodation.

All up he reckons in the 3 years he's had it, he has saved thousands in fuel maintenance and service costs. He also says he will have his investment back within 6 years and the cars will still have many years of life left as the electric motor has a life span of 15 years. I went to the Tas electric car show a while back, had a drive of a couple of them and if had the money, would have one right now.

We have the most abundant amount of renewable energy on the planet, called the sun, We also have virtually no fossil fuel resources and only have 14 days of fuel stocks for the entire country. All our fuel comes from Asia and with the growing concern over the sth china seas and we are so fare away from refineries, our transport could quickly come to a big halt and out society would shut down almost instantly.

So how can we cling to a dying past when there is not future support for it and survive as a society. Yet we have the biggest stocks of lithium, all the resources needed to produce electric vehicles and could become an economic and technological leader in the world. Why would we want to do otherwise, sadly our leaders are from the 18th century mindset, so more than likely one day we will all wake up to no fuel and no transport. Electric is the only way to go for us to survive and if I had the money, would be buying one of those buses made in Geelong that have over1000klms range.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

So when are we likely to see a fully electric m/home?
Even with lithium batteries I can’t see our 9t Girt going 300~500km on one charge.
With her ‘filthy’ turbo diesel, we get around 700km from a 200 litre tank.
I will admit that since we bought Jim the Junior Jeep in 2007, engine technology has improved out of sight.
Upon Jim’s demise, we bought a new car with a one litre turbo petrol engine.
Compared with Jim’s maximum 10.3km/litre from his 1.3 litre naturally aspirated engine, the new car is averaging 17.5km/litre!! 😃
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Here you go Ray http://avass.com.au/metro-bus You can spec the battery capacity you want to get the range you are after. Get one of the coaches and have it fitted out as a motorhome, roof covered in solar and away you go. Drive one day and solar recharge the next day, or 2 days if you drove that far. While the sun is recharging the battery you can go explore in the Jim replacement.

As far as Jim's return from the grave. Jason has been up to his ears in work and we told him there was no panic, so it is still waiting for more testing to determine just what is causing the problem. It is not a dead transmission, it is air being drawn into the pump that is causing the problem. Once Jim moves a few 100 mtrs with the eng running it will drive on its own, stop and restart and drive if you wait till the oil pressure comes up again in the transmission. If I didn't hurt for weeks after I'd have a go at pulling the tranny out myself and check for all the possible leak points where the air could be getting drawn into the pump, but I think I'll wait for Jason to get it out for me so I can check it out on the bench. Before we get that far I might suggest dropping the pan and oil filter and double checking the "O" ring on the oil filter is located properly, that is the easiest check, the rest will require the tranny to come out.

T1 Terry
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

That electric bus looks good, but their consumption figures for diesel are a tad pessimistic. We get 4.5~5.5km/litre, TWICE their economy. Didn’t see vehicle weight comparison anywhere.
What is the weight comparison between a diesel motor & 200 litres of fuel, and a bunch of lithium batteries (plus motor/s) sufficient to travel 600km @ 95km/h?
And it looks like a long wait for a hybrid or full electric Jimny! Rumour has it that the 2019 Jimny, set for release on Australia Day, will have the same engine as our Baleno — 1 litre petrol turbo — apparently matched to a 6-speed dual-range box.
Early talk was that the Jimny would FINALLY get an upgrade from 1.3 to 1.5 litre naturally aspirated 4cyl plus the 6-speed dual range box. (The KISS Principle?)
No talk of a diesel option, though.
Glad to hear that you have not neglected Jim.
If the solution is as simple as you suspect, can I buy him back when he’s fixed? :P (For the same $$$ plus mechanic time. ;) )
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Not too long back there were 2 metro bus and the tour coach up for sale complete with 2 charging stations for $250,000 brand new. Seems the original plan to develop these for Melbourne city city use got canned in preference for some other idea that would get more votes by setting it up in a marginal seat area.
Hard to say what the range would be as a motorhome, they are calculating the range with a full load of passengers and their luggage weighing in at around 4.5 tonne. With a range somewhere between 500 and 700km the tare weight would be approx. 11 tonne plus the fit out, with 3kW of solar on the roof it would take roughly 20 days to recharge though :lol: Might need to park up close to a 3 phase power outlet like the truck stops have to speed that up a tad :? Under 12hrs on a 3 phase power outlet would have you charged up and ready for the next 500 plus kms.