Wireless Broadband ISP service

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Keith Morris

Wireless Broadband ISP service

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---HELP and advise needed---
My ISP provider (BBNET which is part of any or all of the following: BigAir/IIpb/Superloop), has sent me an e-mail saying the service will be shut down on 10th May.

Can any forum member who has even basic knowledge of the wireless broadband guide me to a new ISP.

My existing service costs $40.00 per month. I don't know what my use is in megabites or gigabites things is but the laptop works through a Telstra Turbo doodle thing which is pluged into the side usb hole.
I hope this makes everything clear.
Your advise please
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Wireless Broadband ISP service

Post by BruceS »

Tanks are you sure it's not a scam?
BBNet is in Ireland?
OK, looks like there is an Au one as well!
Ring Tracey & see if she knows anything?
http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page ... 9442-0-0-0
How come it works through & Telstra dongle?
Something doesn't compute here....
Read your last acct & verify exactly who you are paying monthly.
Do you know if there is Optus coverage there? You aren't traveling as much now & Optus has some really good pland much cheaper than Tel$$$tra ...

EDIT: Yes Optus has VERY good coverage in Dysart.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

dream4red

Post by dream4red »

Tanks I think that is a load of bullsh

I have a telstra dongle thingy that makes telstra my ISP
telstra are not closing down, you will still have internet service. Or are you talking about something different to just getting your internet connected?

If Dysart is anything like Anakie, we get reasonable telstra service with our dongle/wifi box there but our mobile phones work much better on Optus. So if you want to get a cheaper internet plan, give telstra the flick and go over to optus and buy a new wifi dongle/little box from them. Optus are only too happy to tell telstra that you have left their service for you, so you dont have to even go to telstra to change (I am assuming that you are out of contract with telstra).

Hope this is helpful Tanks xx
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I agree Deborah.
I did some investigating last night.
I'm thinking the service that they are closing down is a 'fixed' wireless service in the Wyalkatchem area and once Tanks headed for greener pastures he got a Telstra service over the mobile phone network. Probably with Telstra?
I suspect either he had already cancelled the old service or he has been paying for it without knowing? Maybe direct deposit was setup?
Tanks rang me & we had a chat but without really seeing the finer details to find out IF he has a Telstra service it's hard to advise.
I might ring Helen & see if she can work it out?
One thing I did find out was that his email client still checks his emails on that service they are closing down.
Tanks needs to go right through all his accounts, licenses & other things to ensure he changes his recorded email addresses over to his Gmail account.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I just checked this forum & it is one place Tanks has signed up with his BBNet email address.......
He'll need to change banks, electricity, council, voting state, national & local council etc etc etc.
Them bulk mail to all his address book? (friends?)
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here --BruceS,
Yes, you are right there.
The service that they are closing down is a 'fixed' wireless service in the Wyalkatchem area.

To use it I had to plug it in to a box with lights when I was at home. When I was out on the road I had to use the Telstra TURBO dongle thing in the side slot of the laptop. The dingle thing is locked to Teldtra.

I paid the Telstra mob a year subscription [I think about $140.00], and the at-home [box with lights] mob was $40 per month.
I am still paying the $40.00 each month by direct deposit. I guess I should have cancel this transaction a year or two back.

The Telstra mob [with the dingle/doodle thing] I have recently paid in advance for 1 year (364 days access).
I don't know where the bbnet.com.au address ties in, but it works on both Telstra and the Wylie wireless modem thing.

HELP is needed with this as I have NO IDEA what to do to remain in contact when/IF they shut the wireless box & lights thing down as per their e-mail.
I have phoned the geru who set this up for me in Wylie and he is trying to purchase the things on the post office tower and I don't want to wait and then have him tell me that he cant buy the system and stiff bickies !!!
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Hi Tanks.
You don't need or want any of that stuff on the post office tower etc etc.
Just cancel the auto payment of the $40 & rest easy.
Everything will just keep working over the Telstra dongle fine except you won't get any email sent to your BBnet email address.
That's why you need to start changing that address everywhere you have used it.
You can also start telling every friend your new email address as well.
I'll email you to ask you what your Gmail email address is.
If you wanted to you can change to Optus once your 365 days Telstra runs out.
A new UNLOCKED dongle is only $59 at BigW & then you can pop a $2 SIM in it & go from there.
I found it easiest to do all that in a big shopping centre like Caneland.
BigW & Optus should be in there?
Once things settle a bit here I'll log into your computer & see if I can help out.
I asked the chap who runs the Dysart Facebook page if there was a tech guru there but he reckons the elderly people community service was all he could think of. I think you got them to help before when you went to hospital?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here----BruceS (the Lion Tamer),
Got all that.
What will I do with the extra $40 each month ?.

The Community Care in Dysart are the people who do my housekeeping and bring the meals from the hospital, so I will have a talk with the office after the Easter holidays.

I will work on getting the GMail address over the next few days. I will need a lot of help in getting the bulk mailout working to tell everyone the new GMail address, but I have 'till 10th May.
My nearest big shopping centre where the Telco companies are is at Mackay which is a 3 hour drive each way. I will try one of the local "know-how-to-do-it" people. I think the lady who cleans my carpets knows a bit about these things.
Thanks for your help and guiding hand mate.
Keith.

native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Keith I use an optus dongle, but am not an optus customer. It depends on what network your provider uses as to what dongle you use when travelling. For travelling I use Amysim and at home, Mate communications nbn fixed wifi, which has the box on the wall with the lights, which is called a wifi terminal. If you decide to, it's pretty easy to change providers on the same network and I've found optus has a better coverage today than telstra, but others may differ in that.