Driver-Reviver .

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Chuck

Driver-Reviver .

Post by Chuck »

Well, yesterday we did a 4.5 hour shift at a site in Ilford, NSW.

Location is that of our youngest daughter - Simone - that's pronounced the French way... not Simoan!

Anyway, she rang us last week & asked if we were in a position to assist with the staffing arrangements to help with funding for their local primary school which can only accommodate a small number of children - 24 at the moment & only one teacher.

Naturally we agreed to assist where/whenever possible... we were subsequently listed for 12:00 on Friday - yesterday - Yep, Good Friday, first day of the long weekend &, apart from the following Monday, possibly the biggest travel day on the roads!

As it normally takes us about 2 hours to drive there via Katoomba & Lithgow... with the expected increase in traffic we decided to hit the road at 08:00 on Friday morning. Yep, we were right... lots of traffic on the road with a large majority being the big 4X4's with either trailers, camper trailers, pop up caravans or just huge canvas tents/sleeping bags/whatever on the roofracks.

OK. So the initial section on the dual highway heading to Katoomba, whilst busy & naturally a lot slower than it would normally be until we reached Katoomba... then it slowed quite a bit & as the road reduced to a single lane approaching Medlow Bath where it was virtually at a standstill for about 10 mins then progressed at a slow walking pace until we reached the dual highway again through Medlow Bath & on the way to Blackheath.

Once through there it was a normal clear run to Ilford where we arrived at about 11:00.

The set-up was in a council pull in where the coaches assisting railways pick up/drop off passengers, plenty of room for about 15 - 20 cars if they park sensibly (!) yeah right - a quick chat with the off-going staff & we were it. Free Tea/Coffee & packaged biscuits also various cold drinks - Coke/Lemonade/Fanta/& a couple of others as well as fruit drinks in the small cardboard type containers, bottles of water etc. Canned drinks & water bottles were $2 ea along with the fruit drinks. There were some lollies there I'd not seen before... one was largish straws filled with sweet powdery stuff & another sorta (candy belts) (just found out what they were called) strip thingies about 10" long by 1/2" wide covered in some kinda tangy/sweet sugary stuff - tried one, quite refreshing but initially felt like you were chewing on wood. Don't think I'll get a job in advertising!!

Initially it was reasonably steady traffic then it would blow out for about 10 mins & at times cars were jammed in tight but some only stopped to use the toilets there.

We were relieved around 3:45 so ended up doing about a 4 hour shift which was fine, although the back might have had a different interpretation on that issue... but what the hell, it was something different to do & it was all for a bloody good cause.

Received a text from daughter later in the evening... the $$$ value for the day was around the $500 mark. There was a container on the counter for donations to the Ilford Primary School... a number of travelers were extremely generous... putting paper money in - expectancy was simply for spare coins.

Day 1 of a 5 day long weekend..... Image Image Image Image
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Swisslulu

Re: Driver-Reviver .

Post by Swisslulu »

Good on you Chuck and Trina. Job well done!

Cheers
Lesley
Our blog: http://nussbaumerweb.wordpress.com
Cheers
Lesley
Our Blog: http://lesleyanderich.wordpress.com
Dot

Post by Dot »

Great to hear you are out and about once more? How is your new car doing? :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Helen Grose

Post by Helen Grose »

That is a great thing to do will make your Easter interesting good on you both
HTFFBO Helen [emoji195][emoji195][emoji195]

Sent from my SM-J250G using Tapatalk

Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Thanks all.

Dot, it's simply amazing - just wish my slow old brain was a lot more capable of appreciating the incredible technology on board. I'm at the point where, if I activate any more 'assistance' then I will no longer be driving it - just steering.

But, so far, still enjoying it. :D
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Good effort you guys. Are you planning on getting the Geriatric Gypsies back on the road?? :D
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Umm... well...

Would love to David but,

No.

Since returning from our last trip to the Atherton Tablelands where we spent 12 months - & that was three years ago - the only trips we have made is to
do local shopping. That, in it's self, may have been part to blame for my back finally raising the white flag & admitting enough is enough. I now, sometimes, have difficulty getting up/out of a chair... so the final act of our Geriatric Gypsying was the sale of the van & the Cruiser last November... replaced by the VW Tiguan so all I have to do now is try to understand all the technicality in the handbook....

We are planning a trip in the VW to Milla Milla van park in Jul/Aug where we stayed for 6 months of our last van trip & became good friends with the (then) new owners. If that goes well - who knows. ;)
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Macca

Post by Macca »

Can't wait to have you here for a few days early July for the big 80. Seems years since we were down there last Nov.Big hugs Trina and a gentle one to you Chuckles.
Time is passing too quickly so live life to the full with your spouse/partner while you still have she/he by your side.
http://bkmcl.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/o ... m-24-2-13/#
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Macca wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:59 am Can't wait to have you here for a few days early July for the big 80. Seems years since we were down there last Nov.Big hugs Trina and a gentle one to you Chuckles.
Image Image Image Image
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.