Tractor troubles

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Riverlander

Tractor troubles

Post by Riverlander »

While cleaning up the patch where the orange trees were I snapped off three bolts holding the linkage arm on the green tractor. Took the back wheel off and tried to remove one of the broken bolts with an easy-out. Snapped the easy-out off in the broken bolt. Might be a job for someone that knows what they are doing. Thought I would then use the white tractor that I don't like using as I hope to sell it soon and are worried I may break something on it. It has not been used since December and it refused to start. Now running out of tractors but there is still the old red one that has been pensioned off in the back of the shed. It has a constant leak from the fuel pump and looses hydraulic oil from nearly every O ring and the power steering. Blows more fumes out of the engine breather from the by-pass of worn rings than Chuck does. Evicted the spiders, battery in and she burst into life. Used it for the rest of the day and finished the job without a problem. It felt so nice to drive it again even with all of its problems. Cheers John
Dot

Re: Tractor troubles

Post by Dot »

The poor orange trees just getting their own back on you and the tractors . :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Coolabah1au

Post by Coolabah1au »

Send for the locam man [emoji67] T1 [emoji590]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

John,
Maybe you could have brought Girt into service... she has a towball. 😁
Just mind that left front suspension. 😳
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Got those broken studs soaking in some good gear John?
Might need a couple of cycles of gas axe & cold water & then soak again.
We never broke one off but rather they kept working loose.
When you drilled for eazyout was it high tensile or soft?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Coolabah1au

Post by Coolabah1au »

[emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Riverlander

Post by Riverlander »

Hi Bruce. They are not high tensile but they have broken off flush in the side of the rear tractor housing behind the rear wheel. Asked a retired gas field maintenance worker that lives just down the road and he is going to weld a nut to it so we can try to take then out that way.
cheers John
Coolabah1au

Post by Coolabah1au »

Wow what a great way to get your new job done [emoji736]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Using the stick welder, disconnect the battery first, weld a few bits or bird poo on the broken stud end, know this off with a chisel, now build a good bit of a mount on the broken stud. Break the slag off and place a nut big enough to fit over the weld blob and weld that to the blob. Let it cool and the broken stud will wind out with very little effort.
The welding heats the stud causing it to expand, the first bit the stud was too cold to get a good weld penetration, the second weld will fuse deep into the stud and make it glow red. Welding the nut onto the stud will swell the stud again, each time loosening the stud in the thread. When it cools it will have shrunk slightly and be easy to wind out.
Just don't weld the stud to the metal around it, that tends to make the job a tad more difficult ;) :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Busman

Post by Busman »

Using oxy is even easier.
VP has 8 grade 8 bolts holding the front axle in, they needed lossening for camber adjustment.
2 places with big bars and 1" rattle guns gave up, scared of breaking them.
Took VP home, heated studs one by one till they were red all the way through, squirted cold water on till they lost colour, could have got them out by fingers if they were not a wee bit hot.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !