Pointless Plastic

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Pointless Plastic

Post by Greynomad »

What's the point of supermarkets stopping the issue of single-use plastic shopping bags, when they start doing this:
Wrapped Turnips.jpg
Up to now, turnips have been sold unwrapped... :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
bob r

Re: Pointless Plastic

Post by bob r »

So they can sell you there bags and make more profit Ray. :evil:

Bob
Busman

Post by Busman »

Look like parsnips to me....
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

I agree Ray.

I think it has a lot to do with being able to use the self check-outs.

I hate the single use plastics around food.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Well, that didn't take long to go off topic! :lol: :lol: The sinister reason is probably/possibly to extend the shelf life. I don't know which would be worse for shelf life - having them dry out or having them sweat.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

After seeing a few shoppers handling/squeezing/pinching/smelling/etc the fresh fruit I'm glad some items are covered/wrapped.
A week or so before Christmas I watched in amazement as one old deri pickup, smell and squeeze just about every cherry in a huge stand. He even raked the top ones back & went through the ones about 10 deep. I pointed it out to the store manager as this went on for more than 10 minutes. He went & spoke to him & got told that there is another supermarket in town.
People!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

At first I thought it was green mould growing on the outside, but a closer , look I realised it was cling wrap. we found a similar strange practice with cryovac packed meat wrapped in a layer of cling wrap as well. I believe it was to attach their scan/pricing label, but possibly there is some law or worker issue where the reseller needs to have added something to the packaging to apply their own GST because they had added a service to the item ...... Who knows, maybe ask the store manager next time and see if there is a logical answer, the check out operator just shrugged her shoulders and didn't seem to know if it was in store or delivered that way.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Busman wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:52 am Look like parsnips to me....
I stand corrected...by both you and SWMBO... :oops: :roll:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

SIGH... :roll:

What's the point :?:
Woolworths is at it again :!: :!: :!: !?!?!?!?!?!

At Corowa on Sunday. Just started wrapping & packaging greens individually! :evil:
Plastics 1.jpg
Plastics 2.jpg
Plastics 3.jpg
:roll: :roll: :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Value added? I know a number of green grocers started wrapping and packing the broccoli because customers were cutting off the green stork part and just buying the heads by weight. Others started packaging the Truss tomatoes because customers were pulling the stalk bit out of the top or off the piece of vine and swiping them through the self serve as the much cheaper bulk tomatoes.
I reckon the wrapping is so they will scan through the self service check-outs to reduce the amount of false product selection, a sort of stealing really, and to try and cut down on staff and staff produce recognition training. I've seen the front controller/manager do the random basket full of produce test on the check out staff and was amazed at what they got wrong. Most couldn't differentiate between a Lebanese lettuce/cabbage looking thing, a cos-lettuce, an iceberg lettuce and a fancy leaf lettuce, those crinkly leaf things. Apples were a hit and miss thing, but you would think the difference between a granny smith and a delicious wouldn't be too hard to pick, but they would still tick the wrong box as far as the description went.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO