Breeding season approaches

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Grandad

Re: Breeding season approaches

Post by Grandad »

Swisslulu wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:01 pmDo you see the spurs on the leading edge of the wings?
Not until you pointed them out. No. Jeez Louise!

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

BruceS wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:10 pm Well after 27 days the little Plover family have arrived.
Sat on 4, hatched 4 and all are well so far but the hawks are circling ........
P8180015.jpg
Plover verses hawk, might be an interesting match up. The hawks aren't too keen on being attacked so a serious feathers flying attack where a hawk came off second best might have them thinking twice about going after any more baby chick.
Where Margaret worked back in the Illawarra, there were a few nests of Plovers and a lot of warning signs to be careful. Apparently someone didn't heed the warning and two Plover chicks got flattened under the tyres of someone leaving work in a hurry. The next afternoon the offending vehicle was easy to spot, scratched over just about every panel and a number of adults waiting for the owner to return .... after seeing those talons on the wings, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of an angry plover group attack

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

:? Shades of Alfred Hitchcock's film
"The Birds"!!
:shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Snapped these Lorikeets in a hollow tree yesterday.

George

Click to enlarge
100_6390 (Custom).JPG
100_6396 (Custom).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

I wish I could "snap" these cheeky sparrows that keep building a new nest at the top of one of the A sections of the workshop roof. The buggers use the one out over the high roof area so I had to make a long pole, wire extension and then air hose attached to that, so I could blow the nest out of there preferred spot. If the things didn't make so much noise and mess they could stay, but they are not good house guests, so they get moved on every few days. You'd think they get the message, that nest building must be hard work carrying one bit of grass at a time.
Wish they'd join their mates out in the hedge, plenty of room out there and they can be as messy and noisy as the like out there

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Busman

Post by Busman »

They like the smell of themselves, just pump some bleach on the nest, they don't like the smell of that !
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

We have the same problem with swallows, doesn't matter how many times that you toss their nest off the boat, they still rebuild, never learn.😢 We have now wedged a couple of pieces of closed cell foam in their chosen nesting area, fingers crossed.
Shirley & Bruce.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

That expandable foamy stuff may help .
Bernie .
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Spray bleach, gotta be worth a try and doesn't cost much, thanks Bill

T1 Terry
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

A week later and a little more colour. Mum and Dad flew off as I approached.

Click to enlarge
100_6408 (Custom).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor