The GREAT OCEAN ROAD

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Keith Morris

The GREAT OCEAN ROAD

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---
I was going to post this on Rememberance Day, but I forgot.

The Great Ocean Road is one of Australia’s most scenic drives. Winding its way along 243 kilometres of Victoria’s rugged south-west coast, it attracts millions of visitors each year. But what many do not realise is that the road was built as a permanent memorial to those who died during the First World War. Carved from wild and windswept cliffs overlooking the Southern Ocean, the Great Ocean road was built by 3,000 returned servicemen fresh from the trenches of the Western Front in memory of their fallen comrades.

see www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au/iam100

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Shirley

Re: The GREAT OCEAN ROAD

Post by Shirley »

Very interesting Keith, my g'father was killed in France 38yrs.,old my mother was only a toddler when he departed so she never remembered him, my g'mother later married a returned soldier who consequently died of war injury, she was married twice & widowed at 30yrs., old, she then struggled to rear Mum & two older siblings on her own, back in those days women never received the pensions & support that is available today.
Shirley & Bruce.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Interesting & tragic story, Shirley.
I guess you are one of very many Australians with similar stories.
Mine is similar, but a little different.
I had an UNCLE (not a great-uncle) declared MIA at Bullecourt. He was just 18.Enlisted aged 16 with his father’s consent.
My father was just 5 when his big brother died.
My cousin has his King’s Penny.
We have one awarded to Joy’s family for her great-uncle.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---
Things were tough in those days.
I have just finished reading about life in North Queensland in the 1900's, and what the women had to put up with in those days and how they kept the family together when the men were away for months at a time droving the cattle to market.
I don't think the women of today would put up with it.
Keirth

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

We had a garage sale before we moved here...I had a old theodolite amongst the goodies , young bloke was looking and told me his grandfather was one of the surveyors on the Great ocean Road...talked himself into buying it...
Bernie .