The new guide to alcohol consumption

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

The new guide to alcohol consumption

Post by T1 Terry »

Not sure if you have seen the latest kill joy tea total do gooders recommendations about the max alcohol consumption thing of max. 1.4 standard drinks par day. What are your views on this?
There latest "cover their butts" statement is that you won't notice the damage until you reach old age. Really, you mean that part where you are dirtying your nappy and dribbling down your shirt just wishing you could die .... if you drink excessively when you are younger it could actually happen earlier where you just drop dead before you reach such a masterful age ..... I'll drink to that :lol:

The other thing that I find annoying is their idea of a standard drink .... seriously, only a tea total mastermind could have considered that to be the standard size drink .... I reckon it's a plot organised by the wine and spirit mobs, they reckon you can get up to 18 standard drinks out of a bottle .... geeess, if it's that good there is no way you are going to get 18 drinks out of a bottle, it's a real battle getting more than 2 ....
So, it appears we all need to go back to drinking beer, at least you know you've had 18 of those .... well as long as the long neck is considered the standard bottle size anyway :D
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Coolabah1au

Re: The new guide to alcohol consumption

Post by Coolabah1au »

Standard size for a cup is 250mm my guess is your only going to 2 or 3 drinks out of ever bottle [emoji480][emoji480][emoji480]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

T1 Terry wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:12 am Not sure if you have seen the latest kill joy tea total do gooders recommendations about the max alcohol consumption thing of max. 1.4 standard drinks per day. What are your views on this?
Ok, you asked for it. Get ready.

First....Disclaimer. I'm one of those tea total do gooders.
You know that feeling when you wake up one morning and swear to yourself,, "Never again"?
I had one of those day in my mid 20's and this time I really meant it. I went for 40 odd years never having a single drink. Now-a-days I'll have a stubby with my boys on special days like Christmas. Went to a bucks turn for my newest soon to be son-in-law on Saturday and had 3 stubbies over the day. That's a record for me.

Having said that, I will never understand how the consumption of alcohol has become so socially acceptable. Far less now than it was in years gone by but still part of most people's lives.

Why is alcohol legal? highly addictive-A known poison-causes brain damage-no known medical benefits and marijuana is illegal? Not physically addictive (psychologically addictive only)-not a poison-numerous medical benefits

That morning many years ago I spoke of was one where I woke up next to a girl and I had no idea who she was or where she had come from. And apparently, she had moved in. Drop dead gorgeous but I didn't even know where we had met. It all turned out good. I ended up marrying her and she was one of the most intelligent people I have ever met. She borrowed a book from the library once to teach herself the programming language COBOL. One week later she was programming the mainframe computers at HP where she worked.
Her mind worked at a million miles per hour. Left me for dead and I consider myself reasonably intelligent.
We divorced some years later but are still in regular contact. We have a daughter together after all. I still think the world of her but by jeez, she's not the same person. Once you've witnessed alcohol induced brain damage you'll never forget it and probably never have another drink. It makes me sad every time we see each other. Our daughter unfortunately has no idea who she once was. I do my best to tell her but not successfully so far.

The first sign is usually the failure of the ability to learn something new. Stuff you already know is fine but one day you need to understand something new and you just don't get it. If, or when that ever happens, stop drinking.

I'm not here to tell anyone not to drink. Your body. Your mind. Your choice.

But to answer do I believe a maximum of 1.4 standard drinks per day is a good idea?

Yup......in spades.
1.4 standard drinks per day will most likely not hurt you.

But I would ask, why is even one drink EVERY DAY needed? How about once a week?

Not addressing just you Terry. We've never met (yet) and I wouldn't presume to tell you what you should or should not do.
But these are my views on the matter for anybody who cares to listen.

Cheers
Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
Dot

Post by Dot »

Like everything these days we are ruled by fools. My belief is if you are an adult then the choice is totally up to you how much or if you drink any booze at all. May as well live your life being happy as long as your actions don't effect others.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Unfortunately, like Jim has, I have seen the same thing happen to a few of my friends who liked the grog a bit too much. Or the drugs.
The old one's not enough and two is too many ....
But on a lighter note I saw a similar article regarding the recommended daily intake and like T1, I thought it was a bit silly to have such small measures.
But that's what standards are for, isn't it. We all know about the know about the electrical and gas standards, which we collectively all disagree with them from time to time. Like most rules and laws, they all were applied for a reason.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I know a few people who abused alcohol when still a youngster and some who took up the poison at a later age and didn't know how to control their intake. I also know people who suffer the same with tobacco, pain killers, legal over the counter drugs and those purchased behind the scenes. I know people who suffer mentally from social media addiction, gaming addiction, gambling, even adrenaline junkies that take it that bit too far.
It is up to the individual to know their limits and to understand they are out of control and get help to regain control if they need it.
The part I can't handle is those that tell you one thing is killing you one minute, then it's fine to have that now but something else is no longer acceptable ...... the money wasted on these people doing these studies could be better spent on control education so each person understands their own limits. One size fits all it as much nonsense when it comes to clothing or any thing that is supposed to be the safe limit for anything.
The bible talks about drinking wine with a meal, I guess it didn't lead to a long life for some of them, but the old testament has stuff about people living to a very ripe old age ...... no mention they were tea total and if you wanted to live to a ripe old age then give the vino a miss .....

Until they come up with a cure for dying or even more importantly, a cure for loosing the ability to communicate or keep full control of both body and mind, they can stick their diet restrictions where politicians appear to keep their brains .....
Maybe it's time for the interviewer to ask how much money was spent on such and such a study and how could that have been better spent that would be a real benefit to society ......

I remember reading a bumper sticker, "alcohol was invented so even the fat and ugly can get laid every so often" That help cheer me up that I might still be in with a chance, so I started shouting all the fuggly chicks drinks and going round for round with them. By the end of the night I could have had any of them but I was in no condition to do anything about it, but the fact I could have was good enough for me :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

I have a different view on what 1.4 standard drinks are. , my first for the day is above it . According to them .
Bernie .
Dot

Post by Dot »

FYI my standard cup size has diminished a great deal, down from 16 to 12. :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Coolabah1au

Post by Coolabah1au »

Is that in inch or feet [emoji848] May the bottle are getting smaller [emoji480][emoji480][emoji480]

SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Coolabah1au wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:49 pm Is that in inch or feet [emoji848] May the bottle are getting smaller [emoji480][emoji480][emoji480]

Dot?
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774