Lovely Rain

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Cuppa

Re: Lovely Rain

Post by Cuppa »

supersparky wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:00 am Cuppa, It looks like you might be going to get your first cyclone of the season very soon. Are you ready for it yet?
What Cyclone? They've had TC Blake over where we were last Wet season & TC Claudia may or may not be forming near Darwin & moving west. That's all I know. Do you know something I don't?

Here in FNQ the season is definitely changing though. From beginning of October through to the end of the year we had a total of 303.2mm of rain. Since the beginning of 2020 we have had a further 381.4mm, including the 151.5mm we got last night.

Locals tell us the real rain hasn't started yet, & the monsoon trough hasn't arrived yet, but it feels pretty wet to us!
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Maybe he thinks you're still over in the top of WA?
Won't be long until the leeches, frogs, geckos and all the other tropical beasties come out & start feeding & breeding....
I bet you're glad you're not still over in Gippsland? Poor buggers.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

BruceS wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:17 am Maybe he thinks you're still over in the top of WA?
Won't be long until the leeches, frogs, geckos and all the other tropical beasties come out & start feeding & breeding....
I bet you're glad you're not still over in Gippsland? Poor buggers.
Maybe. The place we looked after over there had heavy rain which was very welcome, & wind from TC Blake, but no real damage, just fallen trees to clear up.
No leeches, nor ticks (yet). A few mozzies, but manageable. Frogs in the bloody millions. In the midst of a heavy tropical downpour the frogs voices can still drown out the sound of the rain on the tin roof! Incredible how loud the jungle can be! Not sure how they get in but we have stared finding a few tiny baby white lipped green tree frogs indoors first thing in the mornings. Small, but can jump a fair distance when trying to catch the little buggers. Geckos have been part of indoor life since we arrived. Still haven't seen a python.

Yep, glad the anxiety of living in a fire prone area as we did is behind us. Shame we can't divert some of the rain down there.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

The weather forecast that I had watched on SBS showed a possible cyclone brewing out near Fiji somewhere, but it seems to have disappeared. TC Blake didn't even have a name then. Things changed a bit. At least there is some rain falling on the Cape.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.