Lock down

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Re: Lock down

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
Sydney didn’t identify Case 1 either... at least, not for a few weeks after they had locked down the Northern Beaches.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:21 pm T1,
Sydney didn’t identify Case 1 either... at least, not for a few weeks after they had locked down the Northern Beaches.
Was it the very contagious UK strain Ray?
Let me ask the question, if Dan hadn't reacted quickly and the outbreak of this new strain killed hundreds before he locked the state down would you have said he'd done the right thing?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

https://www.theage.com.au/national/it-s ... 5726b.html

"Health experts are calling on the federal government to build regional quarantine stations as the Holiday Inn hotel quarantine coronavirus cluster that sparked a five-day lockdown in Victoria continues to grow."

"Adrian Esterman, chair of biostatistics and epidemiology at the University of South Australia, said cities were not designed for quarantine and, until recently, it had taken place in more remote locations such as islands or regional sites."

"Mike Toole, an epidemiologist at the Burnet Institute, said in an ideal world, every Australian city would have access to a quarantine facility like the one in Howard Springs, near Darwin.

“It has single-storey cabins that are joined but there are no airconditioning ducts,” he said. “They have individual airconditioning units and verandas where you can sit out and get some fresh air."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 572c0.html

"An infectious diseases expert and member of the federal government’s powerful Infection Control Expert Group says the significant problem that led to the latest Victorian coronavirus outbreak was poor infection control, and not the more-contagious British variant blamed by the state government."

"Professor Collignon pointed to security guards not wearing eye protection, poor governance and supervision, and a lack of awareness that positive pressure inside hotel rooms could push the virus into the corridor when the door was opened, along with a guest using a nebuliser in a room, as contributing factors to the spate of outbreaks."
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

I just don’t see why Andrews had to lock down the WHOLE STATE.
Because someone who lives in the regional area may have been in Melbourne in the last 5+ days;

AND could still be incubating the virus or asymptomatic

AND then spreading it around their local areas. eg; Mebourne flower market to Albury to Rutherglen to the wedding party.

Remember the truck driver that visited all the cafes and pubs on his delivery run. Same risks apply.

Hence, why everyone has to stay still during the "escapees" incubation period.

This allows the authorities to see where the virus has got too. Once the incubation period is over, then we know where it is not, and release those areas from lockdown.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

native pepper wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:19 am https://www.theage.com.au/national/it-s ... 5726b.html

"Health experts are calling on the federal government to build regional quarantine stations as the Holiday Inn hotel quarantine coronavirus cluster that sparked a five-day lockdown in Victoria continues to grow."

"Adrian Esterman, chair of biostatistics and epidemiology at the University of South Australia, said cities were not designed for quarantine and, until recently, it had taken place in more remote locations such as islands or regional sites."

"Mike Toole, an epidemiologist at the Burnet Institute, said in an ideal world, every Australian city would have access to a quarantine facility like the one in Howard Springs, near Darwin.

“It has single-storey cabins that are joined but there are no airconditioning ducts,” he said. “They have individual airconditioning units and verandas where you can sit out and get some fresh air."

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 572c0.html

"An infectious diseases expert and member of the federal government’s powerful Infection Control Expert Group says the significant problem that led to the latest Victorian coronavirus outbreak was poor infection control, and not the more-contagious British variant blamed by the state government."

"Professor Collignon pointed to security guards not wearing eye protection, poor governance and supervision, and a lack of awareness that positive pressure inside hotel rooms could push the virus into the corridor when the door was opened, along with a guest using a nebuliser in a room, as contributing factors to the spate of outbreaks."
It was on the ABC News this morning that the federal Govt is finalising negotiations with the NT govt to extend the Howard Springs facility .... so it seem they have been working towards the idea of moving the quarantine away from the cities .... but anything a govt dept does is always similar to the elephant mating ..... all happens at a high level and a successful result isn't seen for at least 2 yrs ...... so two govt depts "working together" (as if that's ever gunna happen) ..... about the best outcome we can expect is the 2 yrs are in parallel, but reality says it will be in series :roll:

So, that means they aren't actually doing nothing, it's just moving so slowly it's hard to recognise :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Might take less than 12 months Terry as I heard we might have an early Fed election?
Only take a few weeks for Labor to fix it all up.
Can the only take Labor supporters? (not fair!)
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

BruceS wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:06 pm Might take less than 12 months Terry as I heard we might have an early Fed election?
Only take a few weeks for Labor to fix it all up.
Can the only take Labor supporters? (not fair!)
You have a great deal more faith in them than I do then Bruce :lol: Govts are govts no matter what colour tie they wear, they all seem to operate at glacier speed on anything but self approved pay rises :roll:

T1 Terry
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

As the (very) old saying goes,
“Doesn’t matter who you vote for, you end up electing a politician.”
😜
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

Greynomad wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:50 pm As the (very) old saying goes,
😜
I tend to look at it as:-
“Doesn’t matter who you vote for, you end up erecting a politician.”
( in other words, raise another pric## in parliment to screw us :roll: :lol: :lol:
I recall a long time ago a survey about different positions / jobs.
A politician came wayyyyyy below a used car salesman, does this still hold true for some of us ?

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Hold on there Ron, it's possible there are some good used car sales-people out there, I don't think you should be defaming them by associating their popularity with politicians ......
That old adage comes to mind "I'm from the govt, I'm here to help you ....." when I think of politician's of any tie colour, they all are looking out for their job as number 1 and anything that can better secure their job better via good publicity will get their attention ... all else goes into the "round-too it" pile and they never seem to get one that works ......

T1 Terry