Oz Day fuss

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Oz Day fuss

Post by Greynomad »

So much argy-bargy about Oz Day!
As I proved on the Oz Trivia page a while back, most people don’t even know what we’re celebrating.
Many of our darker brethren are claiming it marks the day Captain (actually Lieutenant at the time) Cook landed in Terra Australis. (Which he didn’t do — just mapped it). Didn’t actually set foot on land until the Endeavour was holed on the reef at what is now Cooktown.
The so-called “Invasion Day” (which in my mind requires an army of invasion and — in the technology of the day — large scale hand-to-hand combat, which didn’t happen* and anyway was contrary to the orders given to the First Fleet commandant) was actually 17th January 1788.
January 26th was the date the camp was moved from Botany Bay to Port Jackson.
If the aboriginal community objects to “Invasion Day” they should be marching on 17th, not 26th of January.
Let’s all just crack a tinny and enjoy our (extra) long weekend together. 🍺

* nb. I’m not saying there was no combat with the aborigines, just that there was no massed troop arrival with the intention of subduing a foe. Phillip’s orders were to make all efforts to establish friendly relations with any inhabitants encountered. He was initially successful.
The supposed “invasion force” were basically prison guards.
“... four captains, twelve subalterns, twenty four sergeants & corporals, eight drummers and 160 private marines” hardly constitute an invading army.
(The words of Captain Watkin Tench, one of the four above mentioned, who wrote the first published account of the arrival and experiences of the First Fleet.)
Last edited by Greynomad on Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Dot

Re: Oz Day fuss

Post by Dot »

Just another excuse to keep the "divide" alive and well. The whole thing is BS. Look to the future not backwards. They don't say NO to the extra day off.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Dot wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:09 pm They don't say NO to the extra day off.
Or the white man’s government welfare money.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Peter

Post by Peter »

What do this mob who agitate really want. Changing the date will achieve absolutely nothing. Yes in the early days there were some conflict between both sides. Yes some shocking things were done by both sides However for al long as I can recall Australian Governments of both persuasions have made attempts to improve the lot of aboriginal persons. Acts of good will have achieved nothing look at Rudd the dud and his formal apology. Can anyone identify anything that it achieved or improved- absolutely nothing. How much money has the government thrown at this issue in the past 20 years. I daresay not many of us could add up a total amount it would run into many billions. What has it achieved- Nothing.

Recently a lot has been made of aboriginal kids and adult persons in custody. The court system goes out of it way to avoid placing these people in to secure facilities. Why are these aboriginal juveniles stealing cars , breaking and entering, assaulting people. Because there in no parental model to set a good example and the elders and parents have problems of their own such as alcoholism. In my working life I was involved in the investigation and prosecution of many murders the one that really stands was committed by an aboriginal who bashed a woman to death with a wooden ashtray stand . Medical experts gave evidence that he would have hit her in excess of 100 times to the head it was totally pulverised. He was in the process of stealing cash from her cash register a measly few dollars.

Most of these agitators are not full blood aboriginal but are city educated mixed blood with very little real aboriginality.

It does not matter what concessions are given nothing will ever change as they want the conflict to continue.

Not much to look forward to well into the future.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Every country in this world has been "invaded" If you call Aust day invasion day then what was the Normandy "invasion?" Wasn't there all colours of people fighting in those wars?? Too stupid to bother about. Just ill informed wanna be stirrers.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

Dot wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:42 am Every country in this world has been "invaded" If you call Aust day invasion day then what was the Normandy "invasion?" Wasn't there all colours of people fighting in those wars?? Too stupid to bother about. Just ill informed wanna be stirrers.
Unfortunately, they've invaded the Public Service and teaching organisations, so they can sprout their stupid ideology, keeping the divide a real thing, and by doing this they can continue their superior "Aint I good to the poor Abbos attitude" ( as well as keeping well paid for doing it )
The whole thing is just a farce, and unless it gets a resolution someday we'll still be doing the same for the next century or so.

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

Jacinta Price from Alice Springs gets the same hate mail from the "poor lil' abbo cult"

Now there's someone that's not afraid to tell it as it is, and being part aboriginal has a far better picture of where the faults start from.

She has a F.B page and makes interesting points about the aboriginal "kulcha" and sit-down money.

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Received one of those "emails" a while back claiming the Jan 26 was actually the date the indigenous community were actually counted as Australian citizens and given the right to vote etc .... no idea if it was fact or alternate truth because those in power get to write the story .... shades of Big Brother and 1984 by George Orwell. After the "Donald" yrs, what is true and what is alternate fact has become rather blurred.

Lots of "Indigenous" fact suffers much of the same problem .... various sites have been found throughout Australia that pre-date the arrival of the nomads who progressively took possession of areas by killing off the original inhabitants ...... where are the protests about that?
The claim of "First Nation people" yet no common language or even a dual language like Canada has ..... suggests the people who were here when the British settlers arrived were not a nation at all but a scattered group of warring tribes, each attempting to take possession of the area controlled by someone else ..... maybe "beaten by a better organised group" would be a proper title for what actually happened.
Certainly not condoning any of the treatment dished out by anyone connected with any group, nor the treatment by those who claimed to be doing things "In their best interest" by herding them up and either slaughtering them or forcing them into a form of captivity .... no doubt those of us who think of themselves as "Australian's" will be a tad peed off when who ever overwhelms us and takes control in the future does the same thing to us ..... "Tomorrow, when the war began" type of thing?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

We are one we are many, I think we need to move forward, to many want to be Aboriginals that find that one ancestor in the past way back causing most of the problems, the dinky die Aboriginals are seldom involved in any of the demonstrations.
Seems it's cool to find some Aboriginality in your family tree these days, guess it's profitable.
Shirley & Bruce.
Dot

Post by Dot »

We have a friend who is an Elder from Fitzroy crossing and Halls Creek, when her son was getting married she said to him "Even though you are able to get a house loan at xyz %, you will not be doing that, you will do as your dad and I did and that is work for what you want and pay the same as everyone else does" When she knew we were heading up to her area she said "If you see a man smashing into his female, DO NOT stop" she added she was ashamed of her mob. Her husb was a chopper pilot in Viet she called him skinny little white arse and he called her his coffee colored coco bean. Now that is what I call getting along. Peter died a few yrs ago but Pat is still in Castlemain Vic and her views on her mob have not changed. Good and bad in every race. Even those that chuck TV's around :lol: