Oz Day fuss

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
dapope

Re: Oz Day fuss

Post by dapope »

Cuppa wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:41 pm https://ulurustatement.org/the-statement
Thanks again.
I will discuss this further with my First Nation friends and colleagues
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

That is what Australia is about a free country for free speech for all.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

BOY, did I start something!!
Just wanted to set the record straight on the date.

Even Stan Grant (prominent semi-aboriginal journalist) got it wrong in an opinion piece on the ABC NEWS app. Said he “spent the night of the 25th with his people in a vigil the night before the boats arrived.” :roll:

They were a week and a bit late. :?
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Cuppa wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:41 pm https://ulurustatement.org/the-statement
Sadly Cuppa, even the opening statements aren't backed up by scientific findings.
Our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander tribes were the first sovereign Nations of the Australian continent and its adjacent islands, and possessed it under our own laws and customs. This our ancestors did, according to the reckoning of our culture, from the Creation, according to the common law from ‘time immemorial’, and according to science more than 60,000 years ago.

How do you claim to have a sovereign nation, "noun: sovereignty
supreme power or authority." Every tribe had their own laws and language and tribal lands, this is still maintained today when each tribal group claims land rights, not as a part of the "Sovereign Indigenous people's nation, but as an individual tribe.

As far as the science claim, I call B/S, if you and Julie visit down this way again we can organise for you to visit a site that belonged to the "inhabitants that were here before the aboriginal invasion"

Reconciliation has to be based on truth and honesty on both sides, this sort of one sided alternative truth isn't going to help anyone's cause ......
The call should be, "Truth Matters" and from there a base for a new joint society can be established.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Busman

Post by Busman »

Had a nearly full blood worked for us when we had the farm. Was going to make him manager, but suddenly, after 2 years, "gotta go Bill"
WTF, what do you mean ? Just gotta go. Married to white woman, 4 kids but had to go walkabout !

He thinks it is really funny the way indigenous are playing with white man guilt, and even funnier how these young people get sucked in so easily.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
homeless

Post by homeless »

Many sites claimed as Aboriginal sites they carbon date well before the coming of the aborigines. Willow Springs has many examples carbon dated etc but the locals still claim that it was their work and try and explain what each etching is. They would have had to be about 100 ft tall to do the etchings and the rock as is now that hard that even a hammer and chisel has problems marking it. Have been there and looked at many while working on the property. Owners recon it is easier to keep quite rather than ruffle feathers.
Had a brother in law that run a centre top WA so called looking after the natives and it was a big rip off to get their money and let them have the bare minimum to survive so, it is many time a few people that stir the problems and also reap the profits from that action. Also until they realise that they will never achieve anything until they accept that they have to contribute and accept responsibility for their actions that happen in their life time. And this was form the elder at Orange who was my mate and we played bowls etc together every week . His family were all successful in their fields and he was not backward of calling the youth out that would run riot on the bowling green and cause problems. The language he used would have got me into heaps of trouble but as he said, call a spade a spade and when they back chatted him he would say "when I catch you and will kick your arse and then take you back to your dad and he will do the same". They used to laugh at him till they realised who he was , then they quickly backed down. I did not watch TV on the day because of all the BS.
12 × 5 house boat moored at the present in Mannum Waters Marina.
Converting to LiFePo4 for float alone status
Noggins

Post by Noggins »

Brucie2 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:25 pm Any more politics from either side and the post might be shut down.

Might? You have the power as Admin Ron!
I was waiting to see if a semi-logical discussion would evolve without the point scoring or derision some may have and show to some that don't actually agree with their views.
Up to date it's been mainly cool, although some facts and points of "Accepted Talk" had been pushed, like Soverign Nation, but some good historical points of interest have all been raised so I decided to let it flow.

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
dapope

Post by dapope »

Thanks Ron.
I thought it had stayed quite civilised.
There will never be total agreement around this anyway. Its still worth a discussion.
Wobblybox on wheels
Pace Arrow. La de da, property in two continents..
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

I think this form membership are all adult enough to accept that there are different views on any subject and accept them as an alternate point of view without taking offence on behalf of others .... this last part is the cause of most of the angst and this leads to the conflict .... not those that could have the right to be offended but by those who seem to think it is their duty to be offended on the others behalf ......

I hope anything I've post here hasn't offended anyone who legitimately has the right to be offended, that was never my intention, if I have stirred up some offence in those who really have no right to be offended, maybe it's time to take a step back and examine the reasons behind any offence being taken by you and look at the real cause .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

I chose not to argue the toss & will stick to that.

I will say though that there has been quite a one sided commentary, no 'debate, some really quite offensive comments & statements & some very unnecessary & inappropriate stirring. It was clear from the response to my earlier post that were I to attempt to engage in respectful debate the only possible outcome was that I would be shouted down. Very disappointing.