Wrong argument

Drop in and dribble on about nothing serious. Seriously a mad place to hang out. Better to avoid it if you're not in the mood!!! If you're determined to be sad, bad, mad & angry then move along!!!
Greynomad

Wrong argument

Post by Greynomad »

I think this is supposed to be an anti-gun control sticker...
12053F2F-F540-491D-AD22-879F3963FFDA.jpeg
Unfortunately he has argued the case for gun control... it’s the people who buy and use them who need to be vetted very carefully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Noggins

Re: Wrong argument

Post by Noggins »

I think the point they're making is a loaded gun needs a human to do the shooting.
It won't do anything by its self.
I know I could have a stack of loaded and ready to use killing appliances and not one of them is dangerous until I pick them up and point it at a sentient being.

I remember when I was a lad many years ago it was a rite of passage to get a .22 rifle and to go bunny shooting with Dad and the Unkles.
There were also the Military Cadets who carried their rifles on public transport to school and Military Functions.
Of course there were severe rules for gun controls then, as now, and when you handled one you knew what you had been taught came with severe penalties if you mucked up.
But the youth of my time were more mature and responsible, some even had full tradesman quals by the time they were 21 :roll: , unlike today's youth with no sense of responsibility and care.
Some in my Dad's day even cheated their age to enlist as they were considered too young @16, today's youth need a "Safe Room" at 21 + :shock:

of course this does not apply to ALL of today's youth ;) :roll:

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Ditto, Ron.

I was severely reprimanded for killing a sparrow in flight, despite the marksmanship involved. It wasn't endangering anyone or anything. Air rifle privileges were withdrawn for a week.
Crows circling over our chicken run were fair game, though. Score: Me - 6; Crows - Nil. Chooks remained unmolested, for some funny reason... ;)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Pretty fair sort of an effort, hitting a bird on the wing with an air gun. I would have given you a medal, then the kick up the date that you rightfully deserved. Kids these days don't even know what an air rifle is.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Busman

Post by Busman »

I know what an air rifle is.
I shot a cop in the arse with a dart from an air rifle many, many years ago. He was not impressed, you know the bulls you see in the saleyards getting pissed off?
Nothing on this gentlemans rage !
Long story but will tell with lots of encouragement, or not.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Dot

Post by Dot »

Not too sure about the gun thing but Chuck and I are rather good with a burly chucker :lol: :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Busman wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:34 pm I know what an air rifle is.
I shot a cop in the arse with a dart from an air rifle many, many years ago. He was not impressed, you know the bulls you see in the saleyards getting pissed off?
Nothing on this gentlemans rage !
Long story but will tell with lots of encouragement, or not.
Tell us more!

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

There is another element that has been missed in all this "people kill, not guns" debate. I don't know anyone who could pick up an open sight gun and kill someone at anything but point blank range the first time they used it. In fact, not many people could even load a gun without some sort of training.
Just like cars, no training, no instilling the responsibility involved, no licence. No licence, no car and no gun. Make all cars and all guns in operative unless the licence is in the slot, not the correct licence, the device still doesn't function.
No high powered sports car for anyone without the advanced driver training, nothing more than an air rifle for an unlicensed shooter. Caught driving a car or carrying a gun without the correct licence, gaol, no ifs or buts, illegally in the possession of a deadly implement no matter if there was intent to commit an act of violence or not ........

This could be the influence of the good drugs .... my opinion on the matter may change at a later date ;)

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

supersparky wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:15 pm Pretty fair sort of an effort, hitting a bird on the wing with an air gun. I would have given you a medal, then the kick up the date that you rightfully deserved. Kids these days don't even know what an air rifle is.
Yup. I was a pretty good shot at 15~19...
I also shot a mouse on the run ... through the eye!
At 100 yards I could write my initials in a tree trunk.
Have not even held a rifle of any sort since then!
(Unless you count one time at the Melbourne Show in 1975. 😀)
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

When I was living in West Hoxton (back of Liverpool) we were next door to a turkey farm. At night we'd go rat shooting in the turkey sheds with bird shoot in the 22. They'd fall off the water pipes that fed the day time sprinkles and the turkeys would tear them to shreds before they could get away. When they did the gourmet birds, we changed the sport to air rifles so we didn't damage the poly pipes, too risky to get in there to repair any leaks because the big birds would tear us to shreds if we fell over .... The trick was to shot the rat in the snout, it would leap p in the air and miss the pipe on the way back down .... I reckon they didn't even make it to the floor ...... developed a whole new respect for turkeys after seeing them in a feeding frenzy, vicious creatures. These were big rats, but no match for these turkeys.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO