tow bars

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
wayneP

Re: tow bars

Post by wayneP »

Good luck! Hope all goes well for you both! x
Wayne
Driver/Maintenance Boy :D
Busman

Post by Busman »

Quoted 4 K for one for VP. WTF ??? Gold plated, no it seems not
Made one out of steel lying around the farm, certified for $150, total cost maybe 200 ?
Too many people in this country want more than a fair return.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Busman

Post by Busman »

Bought one when I changed the diesel Suzy for the gas one (DPF issues) came with a wiring harness it said you must use or comp will spit the dummy ! Bloody comps in cars is just silly. When the DPF was full I had to go for a 100 K drive to clean it, that I did not want to go on ! How is that pollution control ?
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Brucie2 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:29 am Every time it does it I get a strange burning smell/stink.
Bruce,
You change your underwear frequently?
😁🤭
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

My dual cab tipper had a big towbar on it when I got it, it had to go over the pits because the rego had run out. They told me the towbar was illegal as it wasn't an approved design and would have to take it off for the inspection. When I told them it would cost a fortune to get a similar approved one, they told that's cool, just put it back on after the inspection, which I did and no one has said a word about it.

For my bus, got a couple old bent towbars from the local transfer station, cut the bent parts out and put the rest together and welded it to the chassis. It had to go over the pits to get the seats I made passed, inspector looked at the seats asked who made them said me, said he like the design, measured the floor bolts to make sure they were the right size and high tensile, saw the towbar and said that's a nice towbar where did you get it. Told him I made it and he said really nice, took a photo and said he would build one himself. Passed the seats, didn't ask about the electrics or gas cooking, just said nice setup and that was it.

Tas is such a paradise, we work on logic here, not insane beauracracy and suppressive legislation. That's the advantage of a small population, the pollies can't afford to get the people off side as we ditch them really quickly when they try to suppress our freedoms in life.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

The usual people look to check for towbar certification etc, accident authority and insurance assessors. Have an accident where the trailer/towed is involved, even if someone runs into the trailer and it isn't your fault .... just like any other illegal modification, not a problem until you get caught

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

NP, Tassie inspectors must have changed big time since I was working for Ace Bus Services, everything had to have a stamped inspection number on it and that was back in the '80s. I built my own trailer, had to tow it to the rego pit inspectors with the work truck so the tow vehicle weight was sufficient to exceed their deemed maximum capacity weight so it didn't require brakes ..... it was a big trailer, but it was built so I could pack all our worldly possessions on to it so we could escape back to the mainland nice place to visit, but unless you parents parents were born in the same town you were living in, a very difficult place to live

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO