ATO & Debt collector

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
Dot

ATO & Debt collector

Post by Dot »

Got home and in the mail was a demand from a debt collector on behalf of the ATO saying Gman owes them $2,500.00 and to pay it pronto :shock: Straight onto the phone and the man said it was from 2003/2004 ???? so now we wait till Monday before we can ring the ATO for some answers??? Q/ because we have had a letter from a debt collector does that put us on the bad debtors list??
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: ATO & Debt collector

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote:Got home and in the mail was a demand from a debt collector on behalf of the ATO saying Gman owes them $2,500.00 and to pay it pronto :shock: Straight onto the phone and the man said it was from 2003/2004 ???? so now we wait till Monday before we can ring the ATO for some answers??? Q/ because we have had a letter from a debt collector does that put us on the bad debtors list??
You were on the bad list yrs ago Dottie, the Gman is just playing catch up.
I doubt the ATO use a debt collection agent so I wouldn't sweat it too much. If it's legit offer to pay it off but I'd think the statute of limitations would be well and truly in play if this is the first notification of a debt.
Maybe play it along for a while if it is con job and get the police involved to see if they can catch them.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Dot, The last time that I owed the taxman money he sent the Sheriff after me. He came with a money or the body warrant. I think that someone is trying to scam you. We (work) were all warned about a similar scam just last week.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Hmmmm, just seems very strange that 12 yrs has passed. G said that he thought when you take $$ out of your super roll over account that you have already paid tax on it??
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Dot, Don't let any money change hands just yet. Still think it is a scam. I thought that the ATO/ Centrelink, new, get their overpaid money back scheme only went back seven years.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

They don't call me "Old fish bum" for nothing :)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

No one would dare call you "old", Dot.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Paramountcruiser

Post by Paramountcruiser »

If it was genuine it wouldn't be for a nice round figure like $2,500.
Neil
Dot

Post by Dot »

George asked the guy for a ref # and he gave something like E45, nothing like the usual #'s you get. Have to wait and see I guess.
idexnz

Post by idexnz »

It's a scam Dot. I got one too but the silly buggers had the sum owing in Aussie dollars and I have never had any dealings with your ATO. The English grammar was a bit suspect too.

Ignore it and NEVER open any attachment that may accompany it as this could contain some really nasty malware.

If you've got time to waste the police fraud unit may be interested but I doubt it. Ordinary local Mr Plods would hardly be bothered as they are far too busy rounding up violent crims and writing parking and spèeding tickets.