Winny for sale .... Lesley?

Any items that you wish to sell or otherwise rid yourself of can be placed in here.
erichaussie

Re: Winny for sale .... Lesley?

Post by erichaussie »

Thanks Derek. That's encouraging, in case we decide to tow.
Erich
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

DerekBullock wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:55 pm The trailer itself is 300 kg and very well balanced (loaded I have 80 kg on the towbar) so easy to move around on my own and no different to any trailer to hook up. Once hooked up it takes 30 seconds to drive the car on, then five minutes max to tie it down. It really is simple once you get to know it.

I am currently trying to work out where I can put a generator box on the trailer other than on the a-frame.
I second that!
The supplied tie-downs are easy to use.
When I severely broke my leg in WA outback, and was flown to Perth by RFDS, SWMBO was left solo to load Jim the Junior Jeep (Suzi Jimny) onto our Tilta & lash it down... something she had never done, only watched me do it.
She managed to get Jim tied down as she thought was right, then dropped in to a local (60km away) service station & asked the bloque to check it before she did the 550km to Perth. He said it was correctly lashed & safe to tow across the Nullarbor if she wanted to!
So a rank beginner can't really stuff it up. :P
I believe the current model Tilta range has an even easier system.

Regarding the genny: I had a weldmesh basket built across the entire drawbar 'V' to carry firewood & the spare, which had previously been mounted on top of the drawbar. The base of the basket was level with the bottom of the drawbar. Carried enough firewood for a week + ...
I reckon you could U-bolt a couple of 1" square-tube cross-members (slung under) between the bars. That should give you enough clearance to mount a genny without encroaching on ground clearance.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
DerekBullock

Post by DerekBullock »

Greynomad wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:30 pmRegarding the genny: I had a weldmesh basket built across the entire drawbar 'V' to carry firewood & the spare, which had previously been mounted on top of the drawbar. The base of the basket was level with the bottom of the drawbar. Carried enough firewood for a week + ...
I reckon you could U-bolt a couple of 1" square-tube cross-members (slung under) between the bars. That should give you enough clearance to mount a genny without encroaching on ground clearance.
My Jayco Conquest has a towing capacity of 1500 kg with 100 kg towball download. They set the trailer up with the Suzuki on it so I have an 80 kilo towball download. A generator on the a-frame would take it over the 100 kg.

That is also why they originally put the spare wheel behind the axle. I am wondering If I can get the genni on the opposite side behind the axle. I could put it in the boot of the car but will be a nuisance in there.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

When I set my trailer up I parked the car on it & sat on the weighbridge while I moved the car into the right place & then built the wheel stops. Was handy being mates with the chap who ran the super phosphate agency!!!
Would it be easier to move the car back a bit Derek & still put the genny on the A-frame? Only need a few inches? What about reversing the car?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

That is also why they originally put the spare wheel behind the axle.
Derek,
My Tilta had the factory-mounting for the spare on the top of the drawbar, immediately behind the hitch. I had it moved between the drawbar arms to lower it, as the bullbar on the Jimny was pretty close to the tyre, and I was concerned that the bouncing of the Jimny's nose over road bumps might cause damage to the tyre.
It's inside the firewood basket and has never been a problem. As it is only 8~12 inches behind its original position, I assume the move has had zero effect on towball weight.
The factory shift to a spare mounted behind the axle came well after ours was manufactured.
Tilta Trailer.jpeg
The crossmember immediately in front of the spare was where the bolts were welded to hold it.
The tyre used to almost touch the u-bolt on the left holding the jockeywheel.
It's difficult to see, but each bar of the weldmesh is welded to the outside of the drawbar, so the weight of firewood is carried by the wrap-over of weldmesh, not the welds, which are only there to stop the basket bouncing about and avoid them bending up to present a danger where you could snag your leg. Two support bars were welded under the spare to mount the locating bolts & carry that weight, and a centre bar supports the centre of the basket to minimise sagging of the weldmesh. The whole installation was done by a manufacturing engineer — I just told him what I wanted to do & left design to him.

As far as your plan goes:
I reckon the framework behind the axle opposite the new spare position should be able to take the weight of a small genny. Depends on how you make & mount the carry-frame, and the weight of your genny. I have seen Tiltas with pre-made Jerry-can holders in that position.
Might be a good idea to consult Tilta before proceeding?? From my experience with them, user-feedback is always welcomed.
They might even design & build a genny-carrier as an optional extra for future customers! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
2foot6

Post by 2foot6 »

BruceS » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:27 pm

When I set my trailer up I parked the car on it & sat on the weighbridge while I moved the car into the right place & then built the wheel stops. Was handy being mates with the chap who ran the super phosphate agency!!!
Would it be easier to move the car back a bit Derek & still put the genny on the A-frame? Only need a few inches? What about reversing the car?

If you reverse the car onto the trailer it will not reach the balancing point and the tracks will not drop,(because the weight of the motor will be at the rear)the same possibly goes for moving the tracks back a few inches.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

DerekBullock wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:03 pm
Greynomad wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:30 pmRegarding the genny: I had a weldmesh basket built across the entire drawbar 'V' to carry firewood & the spare, which had previously been mounted on top of the drawbar. The base of the basket was level with the bottom of the drawbar. Carried enough firewood for a week + ...
My Jayco Conquest has a towing capacity of 1500 kg with 100 kg towball download. They set the trailer up with the Suzuki on it so I have an 80 kilo towball download. A generator on the a-frame would take it over the 100 kg.

That is also why they originally put the spare wheel behind the axle. I am wondering If I can get the genni on the opposite side behind the axle. I could put it in the boot of the car but will be a nuisance in there.
What is the tare weight of the trailer and what is the weight of the car?
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
DerekBullock

Post by DerekBullock »

SteveW wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:13 pm
Trailer is 300 kg plus 18 kg for the stone guard and the car is 820 kg so 1138 kg all up with nothing in the car. That leaves me around 360 kg to play with. Often I put the Weber Baby Q in the car.

Trailer ATM is 1500 kg to match towing capacity of the Jayco.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

DerekBullock wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:20 pm
Trailer is 300 kg plus 18 kg for the stone guard and the car is 820 kg so 1138 kg all up with nothing in the car. That leaves me around 360 kg to play with. Often I put the Weber Baby Q in the car.

Trailer ATM is 1500 kg to match towing capacity of the Jayco.
Good news!
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Our Jimny weighed 1060kg before I removed the rear seat entirely (probably 20~40kg) & replaced it with a plywood floor using the original welded-on nuts where the seat was secured (no water leaks!).
As others have told you, the trailer is 300kg.
We used to load the Jimny with extra fuel & water when travelling remote areas (40kg of each), otherwise it carried only the folding chairs & a few light odds & sods.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields