Jayco optimum

Any caravans, campervans or motorhomes can be placed here with photos.
SteveW

Re: Jayco optimum

Post by SteveW »

It's unlikely that it has been de-rated because the tare weight is not much less than 4.5 tonnes. I think it is really important that the current owner check this issue, and certainly not sell it as a car licence vehicle unless that is absolutely certain. It is scary because the vehicle will be uninsured if the driver is not properly licences.

I might be wrong about this and, if so, I will apologise. In the meantime, given that the vehicle is being offered for sale on this site, the ramifications, if the vehicle is LR or MR, are awful if a prospective buyer takes it for a test drive, or buys it, and crashes.

No offence or criticism intended toward to original poster. If there has been a mistake I am sure that it will not have been deliberate.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Dot

Post by Dot »

In the back of my Trainee Guide book for (LR & MR) says...
LIGHT RIGID VEHICLE
A two axle rigid vehicle more than 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass (GVM) but not exceeding 8 tonnes GVM.

MEDIUM RIGID VEHICLE.
A two axle rigid vehicle more than 8 tonnes gross vehicle mass (GVM)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

Ok thank all will ask my mate for some more paper work to fix this problem
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
RussellB[SA]

Post by RussellB[SA] »

Dot wrote:In the back of my Trainee Guide book for (LR & MR) says...
LIGHT RIGID VEHICLE
A two axle rigid vehicle more than 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass (GVM) but not exceeding 8 tonnes GVM.

MEDIUM RIGID VEHICLE.
A two axle rigid vehicle more than 8 tonnes gross vehicle mass (GVM)

Aaah so, but vot does it say about 3 axles. mmmmmmmmm?
Russell Barter from South Australia AKA "Death on Wheels"
Mitsubishi Challenger towing a Jurgen 2406 Caravan. Its all about fun with friends travelling our great country.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Tis nothing in the book for 3 axles. I would also say that rig would not be able to be driven legally with the car license. When I went for my MR the instructor said you are better to get the MR over the LR.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Mrcoolabah1au wrote:Ok thank all will ask my mate for some more paper work to fix this problem
You might also ask him for a price..... :?
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

I think my mate have a to high price he wants some thing over 100 ok
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
RussellB[SA]

Post by RussellB[SA] »

Mrcoolabah1au wrote:I think my mate have a to high price he wants some thing over 100 ok
Their over $160 + orc new

Mine cost me $142k (had diesel heat, Auto Sat dish and Solar) 2008 with 32k on clock
Russell Barter from South Australia AKA "Death on Wheels"
Mitsubishi Challenger towing a Jurgen 2406 Caravan. Its all about fun with friends travelling our great country.
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

Ok he said start at 120.ooo then we talk?
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
Dot

Post by Dot »

This is what I was looking for Russell, better late than never I guess :lol:

Licence categories

There are a range of categories of licences in Victoria. These also include marine and tow truck licences. Taxi licences are the responsibility of the Victorian Taxi Directorate (VTD).

Below are the categories of licences and what you need to do to apply them.

Licence categories
Description and Eligibility

Car
You can drive a vehicle that does not exceed 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) and can seat up to 12 adults including the driver. This does not include motor cycles and motor trikes. You may tow a single trailer (other than a semi trailer) up to 9 tonne GVM or to the manufactures specifications (whichever is less).

Can drive as soon as you get a car licence.

Motor Cycle (R)
You can drive a two or three wheeled vehicle that includes a sidecar, forecar or trailer and includes a motor trike. Can drive a motorcycle that is permitted under the Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme as soon as you get a motorcycle licence.

Marine licence
A marine licence allows you to operate a motorised boat in Victorian waters. You can also have your marine licence endorsed to operate personal watercraft.

You must be at least 12 years of age to apply for a restricted marine licence.

Tractor
See Driving a tractor for more information.

Light Rigid (LR)

You may drive any rigid vehicle, including bus and truck, greater than 4.5 tonnes GVM but equal to or less than 8 tonnes GVM or a vehicle that seats more than 12 adults including the driver that has a GVM not greater than 8 tonnes GVM. You may tow a single trailer (other than a semi trailer) up to 9 tonne GVM or to the manufactures specifications (whichever is less).

To apply for this category you must have held an Australian car driver licence for at least 12 months.

Medium Rigid (MR)

You may drive any two axle rigid vehicle, including bus and truck, greater than 8 tonnes GVM. You may tow a single trailer (other than a semi trailer) up to 9 tonne GVM or to the manufactures specifications (whichever is less).

To apply for this category you must have held an Australian car driver licence for at least 12 months.

Heavy Rigid (HR)

You may drive any rigid vehicle with three or more axles, including bus or truck, greater than 8 tonnes GVM. You may tow a single trailer (other than a semi trailer) up to 9 tonne GVM or to the manufacturer's specifications (whichever is less).

To apply for this category you must have held an Australian car driver licence for at least 24 months.

Heavy Combination (HC)

You may drive a prime mover or single semi trailer exceeding 9 tonne, or rigid vehicle plus trailer greater than 9 tonnes GVM. A Mass and Dimension permit may also be required. Check with VicRoads by calling 13 11 71.

To apply for this category you must have held an Australian car driver licence for at least 24 months, including Medium Rigid or Heavy Rigid licence for at least 12 months.

Multi Combination (MC)

You may drive a heavy combination vehicle with one or more additional trailers.
To apply for this category you must have held a Heavy Combination, Heavy Rigid or a combination of Heavy Rigid and a Heavy Combination vehicle licence for at least 12 months, plus the completion of an approved course.

NOTE: Light Rigid, Medium Rigid and Heavy Rigid licence holders may tow a single trailer (other than a semi - trailer) that has a GVM not greater than 9 tonnes.