Jayco optimum

Any caravans, campervans or motorhomes can be placed here with photos.
Mrcoolabah1au

Jayco optimum

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

2009 motorhome
31000 km
Transmission duel semi auto
4 cylinder fuel injected 3 litre diesel
Six wheel model
Rego till july this year
Washing machine seperete toilet shower
160 lt fresh water / 80 grey
Led lighting through out
Cd/ dvd / mp3 / player / stero hd tv / radio / uhf radio
Fully equipped kitchen 3 burner cook top 150 dometic 3 way fridge with mircowave
Roll out awning
Two rear camera
4x 100Ah batteries 2 x starting / 2x house
200w solar unit
Motor home is fitted with air con
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
dream4red

Re: Jayco optimum

Post by dream4red »

Hi Coolabah,
that is one heck of a lovely rig you got there.
Emma chisit?
What sort of licence do you need to drive it?
Where is it located?

Deborah
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

Car licence just under 4.5 ton the bus is in nsw on the murray river have plenty of photos for any one ok
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
RussellB[SA]

Post by RussellB[SA] »

Mrcoolabah1au wrote:Car licence just under 4.5 ton the bus is in nsw on the murray river have plenty of photos for any one ok
Err hate to rain on your parade but my 2008 Optimum 6 wheels like yours is rated to GVM of 5000kg which needs a MR licence.
Jayco quotes it needs a LR licence but it has 6 wheels which according to local MTA means a MR licence

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Russell Barter from South Australia AKA "Death on Wheels"
Mitsubishi Challenger towing a Jurgen 2406 Caravan. Its all about fun with friends travelling our great country.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

No question that a heavy vehicle licence is required, Russell. My understanding is that a Light Rigid licence is appropriate - any vehicle between 4.5 and 8 tonnes. If you read the requirement for HR it says 3 axles AND over 8 tonnes.

I think when the rules were written they did not consider the possibility of a 3 axle vehicle under 8 tonnes. There are three axle vehicles under 4.5 tonnes - e.g. some converted Falcon, Land Rover and Toyota tray vehicles - that are driven on a car licence.

Armstrongs, the major Vic driving instructors, say LR and are training/testing my wife for that in a couple of weeks. At the moment she drives with the "Driver Under Instruction" plates on - I have an MC licence so she can drive any time I am with her.

I hope the owner of that Optimum hasn't been driving unlicenced for 3 or 4 years. :o
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
Mrcoolabah1au

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

Ok russell though it was a bit much woun't take much to up grade only a driving test i think?
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Well I stand to be corrected but I'd be game to drive it anywhere with a SA license.

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport, ... ce+classes

Can anyone point me to where it specifies otherwise if it has a GVM of 4.5 or less?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

SteveW

Post by SteveW »

admin wrote:Well I stand to be corrected but I'd be game to drive it anywhere with a SA license.

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport, ... ce+classes

Can anyone point me to where it specifies otherwise if it has a GVM of 4.5 or less?
As Russell pointed out, it's GVM is 5 tonne.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Steve I think Wayne/Nini indicated there's was under the 4.5? Maybe their's has been derated?
I was actually replying to the suggestion that because it was more than 2 axles it requires a higher class license.
That's how I took the comment anyway.
I know it would never happen but if it had 45 axles but was still under the 4.5GVM it can still be driven on a car license.

Starting to wander off-topic anyway but any prospective buyer MAY be advised to follow up with a query to the relevent authorities.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

RussellB[SA]

Post by RussellB[SA] »

Mrcoolabah1au wrote:Ok russell though it was a bit much woun't take much to up grade only a driving test i think?
Yeah no problems, only cost me $1000 in competency based training and testing. Took years of my life as I had bought the bloody thing without a licence, to fail would not have been fun and the instructor / test was really pedantic.

He said I need MR I wasn't gunna argue with him, the only diff between LR and MR was the vehicle had to have a 75% load (which it did).

I too will stick L plates on for wife to teach her how to drive. :-) Just need to wait till July then I will have held my MR for two years.
Russell Barter from South Australia AKA "Death on Wheels"
Mitsubishi Challenger towing a Jurgen 2406 Caravan. Its all about fun with friends travelling our great country.