Vegis

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Vegis

Post by BruceS »

haha.... I'm taking the low side ......... reckon my luck will change as sex rolls downhill, doesn't it? lol haha
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Glenda your garden enclosure looks good & the products look great, do you grow Kale?
Shirley & Bruce.
Dot

Post by Dot »

Wow Glenda that is fantastic, :mrgreen: what do you do with the excess freeze preserve?? So jealous :mrgreen:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
dream4red

Post by dream4red »

Cant compete with Glenda's beautiful produce, but we do try to do our bit.

We have a flourish of Continental parsley, rosemary, Tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchinis, lots of lemons and limes. We have just planted some dwarf fruit trees last Summer, and they are fruiting this season. So we also have nectarines, peaches, mango and apples. Will be interesting to see how many the fruit bats and possums leave for us to eat! Cant wait to see if the dragon fruit gets flowers this year too.

Don't grow anything that is so cheap when in season that it isn't worth the effort, so carrots and lettuce, we leave for the experts to grow.
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

We grow spuds in the bottom kitchen drawer, does that count? We have a family of Aust marsupial rats living in our back yard, cute as but they love fruit and vegies, so we seem to grow them and they eat them :lol: We have more luck with potatoes, dutch creams, kiffler and sweet potato, but we do get the odd harvest of beans if there are too many for them to eat, as well a figs, but between our little fury friends and the birds it's loosing battle. The lemonade tree, lime tree and this yr even the mandarin tree has lots of fruit in the front garden
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

Rats is rats is rats & traps is traps is traps sorry not in my back yard, yuck my pussy has just shuddered
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

These have short tails, big ears, don't chew up cables of boxes or make a nuisance of themselves except for pinching any fruit as first choice or vegies as second choice. We accidently left the bottom window open in the kitchen and one of the cheeky buggers came in and helped him/her self to half an avocado from a bag full on the bench. Only the one, never chewed the string plastic bag, just carefully nibbled through to and around the stone of the available area of the avocado :lol: we left the remains out the back near the batteries and Margaret said she could hear them chattering away the next evening. We have never found any rat poo around the area, damaged items, nothing, except the tell tail stubs or what was a fig or the absence of the vegetable we had been watch come to maturity.... they must have better senses of when it's just right for harvesting than us :lol:
I've seen them a few times, even accidentally trapped one inside in the early hrs of the morning, he/she ran around frantic looking for an out, finally coming past me and up over the cupboard top, scrambled up the window frame, stopped at the top and looked at me, then dived outside.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Swisslulu

Vegis

Post by Swisslulu »

Bernie, I think Don and Leith might be away as their place looked deserted when we walked past yesterday.

Here is my fledgling herb garden - continental parsley, curly parsley, basil, sage, oregano, onion chives, garlic chives, Vietnamese coriander, rosemary, lemon thyme and a small native finger lime. Not bad for about 6 weeks since planting.ImageImage
And in pots, a grafted kaffir lime and Meyer lemon and a bay tree.Image
Cheers
Lesley
Our Blog: http://lesleyanderich.wordpress.com
Dot

Post by Dot »

Hey Terry, clever rat! :)
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Thanks Lesley, not bad in a short time. Where did you get the finger lime from?
Bernie.