Gardens had a holiday too!

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
Loki

Gardens had a holiday too!

Post by Loki »

Hi all,
Returning home from 10 months travels and I discovered while the grass wasn't growing under my feet.... Things normally don't grow well here, it is pure sand in a rain shadow where even hardy plants are difficult to establish. I understand in the time I was away it was perfect growing conditions; mild with regular rains, no heavy rain but enough to give things a kick along.
The first week was pulling speargrass by hand, as it was scattered amongst the groundcovers throughout the yard. This insidious pest was nearly mature and the seeds have barbs on them and are a very real danger to dogs: The seeds actually work their way into their skin, causing pain, infection and can kill the animal in some cases. After taking my daughter's red setter for walks (three per day), I have to check between his toes, under his armpits and generally all over for any seeds he may have picked up.
Then clearing all the Queen Ann's Lace, which had run rampant and smothered much of the yard. I filled a bin 3m by 1m by 600mm with the 'harvest', topping it up a couple of times as it composted down and still had some left over, which I burned.
Then trimming back plants that had grown over paths, drive and just got too big. I have a chipper/shredder which I use to reduce them to mulch and this year I ran through at least three times the amount I do in a normal year! The block is only 1300 SqM and pretty much a desert normally.
Why bother? Well, it is home, it is 30m from a quiet beach and I guess I just like to be at home at Christmas. On that note, a very Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year of new adventures!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Gardens had a holiday too!

Post by T1 Terry »

Looks like a top spot Anton so the yard recovery is just one of those payments you have to make if you want to travel and have a wonderful fixed address as well.
When/if we hit the road it's going to a tough decision, we like where we live but do we want the burden around our necks, one of those unknown till we do it things I guess.
Sounds like you have your place back in order so now you can sit back and enjoy it, have a good holiday break, before you head off on holidays again :lol:
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO