'Downsizing' from the Family Home

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
TassyJim

Re: 'Downsizing' from the Family Home

Post by TassyJim »

Any shading caused by the supporting structure is likely to have severe consequences for output of the panels.

I am not sure about the 'clear' sheet effects.

Jim
Jim & Jennene with Teddy & Pascale. RIP Scarlet
Used to have Iveco towing a 5th Wheeler
Now back to dreaming again...
Nomad's Almanac
http://www.c-com.com.au/nomad.htm
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I doubt if you'd get much through Alsynite.
They even use good quality glass on the panels.
I reckon it's either park it in the sun or throw a few cheapies up on the roof.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mount-b ... 1190789151
I reckon they are 190w X 24v. I contacted her & the rails & clamps are included.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Lexan make a very strong see through roof sheets with varying light filter grades, we used it on the rear patio roof after a hail storm destroyed the original stuff. I'll take a few different solar panels home and see what (bad pun I know) output they produce to get an idea of just how much is lost.
I have had reports from members with lithium batteries having problems with the batteries still charging while the vehicle was in the shed, even without plastic roof sheets. The light reflecting off the concrete out the front was again reflected off the inside of the roof sheets and creating a trickle charge effect. These were large solar arrays more than 1kW capacity and maybe only working at 10% or so of their capability, but that is still 100w of solar input into a system that has no loads turned on so over time the battery started to over charge/go out of balance, one of those things that happens if you attempt to continuously trickle charge lithium batteries. In most of these cases we either recommended completely shutting down the system or adding a solar isolation switch and that has become part of every build in recent yrs.
So, yes, some solar charging will occur through some of the types of roof sheeting available, but as far as it being anything useful, not really and lithium batteries don't need that sort of continuous charging anyway. If you did decide you wanted the battery always ready for action you would need to set the voltage down to around the 13.2v mark for a 12v battery and some form of balancer, not something I'd recommend on a 12v battery but maybe a necessity on a 24v or 48v battery, just be careful of the type you use, but that's for another topic.
As far as those with lead acid batteries, you would need a good solar array to get enough trickle charging through clear roof panels, better off to add a few to the shed roof with an Anderson plug that connects them to the systems built in solar regulator if you want that continuous charging to keep your batteries alive, just use a good solar regulator that can be set back to 13.4v or 13.6v for continuous trickle charging or you will end up with stuffed batteries anyway.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

Well thats all over... humpy didnt sell at auction ... :o :shock: :?

So what do I do now...??? Was just one of those days they all say... no bidders to the reserve,siht weather etc...!!!

Well the agent reckons, cos the joint was passed in , those with the real folding stuff will come out of the wood work now...???

Or those that needed time to arrange finance have time now...??? :P

Well me thinks I will leave it on the market for a couple of weeks,then if it doesnt get the price we want, rent the joint out and off we choof in the humpabago...!!!

Agent reckons $850.00 a week rent, so with a lot of free camping, might get away with it, and flog the joint next year or whateva...???

What say the clan of my plan...???

vik...
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
Dot

Post by Dot »

Never mind Vik things will work out in time. Hate auctions myself. The rent sounds a bit high but if you can get it then watch C/link swoop . Tonight must be a "sit around the table talk fest" do what you want to do and just do it. I would shut the doors, pack the wannabago and bugger off for a few mths or R&R, meantime push the agent to sell while you are away but most of all get out of there. Bad luck but it will sell, maybe next week or next mth.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

Dot wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:38 pm Never mind Vik things will work out in time. Hate auctions myself. The rent sounds a bit high but if you can get it then watch C/link swoop . Tonight must be a "sit around the table talk fest" do what you want to do and just do it. I would shut the doors, pack the wannabago and bugger off for a few mths or R&R, meantime push the agent to sell while you are away but most of all get out of there. Bad luck but it will sell, maybe next week or next mth.
Sounds like a plan... was gunna see Terrence tumorra too... :P drop off another part... :roll:

No C/ Link for us to worry about ATM...!!!

vik... :|
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

vik351 wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:29 pm Well thats all over... humpy didnt sell at auction ... :o :shock: :?

So what do I do now...??? Was just one of those days they all say... no bidders to the reserve,siht weather etc...!!!

Well the agent reckons, cos the joint was passed in , those with the real folding stuff will come out of the wood work now...???

Or those that needed time to arrange finance have time now...??? :P

Well me thinks I will leave it on the market for a couple of weeks,then if it doesnt get the price we want, rent the joint out and off we choof in the humpabago...!!!

Agent reckons $850.00 a week rent, so with a lot of free camping, might get away with it, and flog the joint next year or whateva...???

What say the clan of my plan...???

vik...
Ummm.... a couple a weeks :shock: ummmm....... golliey as Gomer Pyle used to say, more verification around lunch time today I'm guessing :?
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

Lookin at a humpy today ... :D :D :D

Sea change...???

vik... :o :shock: :?