'Downsizing' from the Family Home

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: 'Downsizing' from the Family Home

Post by BruceS »

One thing you need to watch out for Wayne is to ensure you just don't land yourself outside the pension limit... assets & income.
I know one chap who sold his BIG house to downsize & ended up losing his pension (of $5 a week) and also all the benefits that go with it. (concession card mainly)
One person sold his $400,000 house to buy a $800,000 one to ensure he stayed within it....
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

We moved from what was paradise but turned into banshee land and those who preferred the five finger discount to actually getting an income and buying their own stuff. Still love the area over there and how close it is to all the bits we needed, but too many of the things we didn't like about the place, that list of good on one side of the open book and bad on the other side for staying put and another for the good and bad about the proposed new location. The workshop and town of Mannum won hands down, so we moved 2 states and 1200km and still very happy we did, although we should have looked at the political climate both local and state when doing the good/bad spread sheet.
After the move to the workshop the house we had chosen selling while we were still getting the $$ sorted so we ended up living in the partly completed Rustic Inn Perfection. I loved it but once Margaret finished up her employment in Wollongong and the house sold she had the need for a house as women often do. We had the chance to buy the house next door, back to the good v bad and turned it down, still not sure if that was the smartest move but time will tell I guess.
Back to looking at houses in the Mannum area and stumbled across a house that was just being relisted as the original buyers couldn't sell their house in Adelaide... what goes around comes around apparently as that was the reason we lost the original house choice. The place didn't even have an address on the listing but after seeing so many places in Mannum we knew exactly where it was from the views out the front window.
First look and Margaret said Ï want it just like it is, all the furniture and stuff on the walls etc, made the offer to pay the asking price for as is but he could take the personal effects, it took 10 mins to go from new listing to sold and 1 mth later we moved in. Margaret loved the place from the moment she stepped inside, I was happy because she was happy and I had a Man Shed to keep me happy, but the place has grown on me to the point that it was the better choice as a place to live than the Man Shed/Rustic Inn Perfection while we are in Mannum. Rustic will still become our travelling house, that dream has never died, but Margaret mentioned that this coming trip back to NSW was not the joy and excitement it was to be leaving the house in Lake Illawarra to do such a trip, so tis place must tick a lot more boxes for her as well.

Keep enough room for family and friends to visit and be comfortable so that welcome door is always open, but not too comfortable or you won't get them to leave :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

Well my turn to sell up,empty nesters now, both have no jobs,massive solar bill on the way... :o :shock:

Auction in a couple of weeks...

Try and find a place in the Adelaide surrounds that keeps SWMBO happy and fits a motor home ...?

Came across one BUT...!!! Its got an ingroung pool... :x

Don’t know much about owning a pool cept costs $$$$
T mt
What say the pool owners,,,??? I like Koi fish

Read about salt pools, I wonder if it would be any good for my proxy skin...??? The bloody Quack put me on Coversil BP pills and I reacted with a rash and now I get psoriasis ,on me legs now mainly

Vik ...
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
Dot

Post by Dot »

Pools are money pits. Fill it in or make a wine cellar out of it.
We are also on the clean out ready to move out adventure.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Vik,
Wot Dottie says.
If you’re planning to continue travelling, DON’T even contemplate a pool!
You’ll return to green water.
If the house is too good to pass up, get a truckload of soil, or do as a friend did and turn it into a sunken garden with BBQ at the bottom! 🤗
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
BillieBlue

Post by BillieBlue »

Not sure about selling the family home .Once out of the property market it's very hard to get back in.

My motto is ....If you don't need to ....Don't.
Billie Blue
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

BillieBlue wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:50 am Not sure about selling the family home .Once out of the property market it's very hard to get back in.

My motto is ....If you don't need to ....Don't.
That’s easy for you to say ;) you just grab your axe ,play a few bars, Katchin ...$$$ ...we got no jobs or income,just gunna down size and live in hope...

Sounds the pool joint is outa the equation ...!!!

Vik...
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

Dot wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:42 pm Pools are money pits. Fill it in or make a wine cellar out of it.
Where ya lookin...???

Vik...
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

I moved out of Sydney to Tamworth area, then divorced and has taken 30 years to once again get comfortable, only by having a 2nd wife 20 years younger still working in a good paying job.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Dot wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:42 pm Pools are money pits. Fill it in or make a wine cellar out of it.
Is it a proper concrete pool? You can't just drain a fibreglass pool because it requires the water to hold the dirt out of the hole. But if it's proper concrete pool then the workshop on top and a great basement under neither would be a brilliant conversion and become an asset rather than a liability. A games room and bar underground so heat stays outside but the noise stays inside, who still in the party age group would think that was a brilliant thing 8-)
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO