New roof...

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
Chuck

New roof...

Post by Chuck »

Well... "the time has come" the walrus said...

Woke up yesterday morning to a wet patch... umm, no Dot not that sorta wet patch... on the floor in the hallway. :roll: We did have a bit of rain on Saturday. This must be about the 10th leak we've had from the old tiled roof since we bought the place in 84... it was 12 years old then.

Had enough, so seriously considering replacing it with Color bond.

This will be a first for us so looking for suggestions & comments - either way.

Got a bloke coming out tomorrow morning to give a quote.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Newcastle George

Re: New roof...

Post by Newcastle George »

Chuck, having taken note of many colourbond roofs and noticed the deterioration of many of them in comparison to the zincalume roof which I installed on a previous home, I would suggest zincalume however, Catriana may prefer a coloured roof. Colourbond is only painted steel, no galvanising. I am unsure of the price difference.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

Well this is one area I can speak on with confidence, been involved with roofing for over 25 years, from manufacturing to importing to quoting materials for roofing contractors, in fact I still do CAD work for roofing companies all over the world.
So one thing I will correct is that Colourbond is painted Zincalume, not just bare steel.
That being said it is true that some Colourbond has had some issues with paint quality and deterioration, however if you go back to your supplier you will find that Bluescope will replace or repaint your roof for free in those circumstances, but it's up to you to make the complaint.

I would suggest that you look at what insulation you have at the same time.
If you have batts in the ceiling (ha ha) you probably don't need much more, but foil faced insulation (Anticon or building blanket) directly under the roof sheeting is an option I would suggest you consider.
If not insulation, then at least go for sarking under the sheeting, it helps the insulation, but it also stops all the creaking form the roof when it expands and contracts as in when clouds shade your roof on a sunny day.

You will often find companies will do your guttering for not much more at the same time also.

Make sure your sitting down when you get the quote though...

Cheers,
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

I stand corrected. From Bluescope website : "The base is then coated in BlueScope’s industry leading metallic coating incorporating Activate® technology*, to provide enhanced corrosion resistance." which apparently is Zincalume.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Dot

Post by Dot »

Chuck with "bats in his roof" = for sure. As for his "wet spot" he has many of those. Go for the good old tin roof or move :) nothing beats the sound of rain on a tin roof. After we got some quotes for our roof "restoration" don't go near those that say "free guttering etc" they are overpriced to start with :) I suggest strongly that you sell up :) Has at a guess I would do for a price around the $40k mark :( :(
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

Newcastle George wrote:I stand corrected. From Bluescope website : "The base is then coated in BlueScope’s industry leading metallic coating incorporating Activate® technology*, to provide enhanced corrosion resistance." which apparently is Zincalume.

George
Sorry George, wasn't having a go at you, just thought I should clear it up.

I've been to the Bluescope site and seen the painting process in action, you wouldn't believe how low tech it is, basically just paint poured over the steel while it's being uncoiled, then through a heating process and then re-coiled. Of course they have to do two coats, the first being an etch primer.
When I was there 20 years ago I guess now, it wasn't even a sealed room where the paint was applied.
Any wonder we used to bugs and moths in it sometimes.... :roll:

Cheers,
Bernie
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Maybe get a quote from an older builder to get your tiled roof resealed first Chuck.
It usually is just a few cracked ones from TV antenna installers & gutter cleaners who couldn't care less.
The ones up the ridges sometimes need to be re-mortared as well.
Sounds like someone has punched a hole through the tar paper that usually diverts any leaks down into the gutters?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

I'm with Bruce on this Chuck, replace the broken tyles
BernieQ
Peter

Post by Peter »

About 30 years ago I erected a colourbond fence around two sides of our home. Yes the colour has faded. A good wash with detergent improves it. So too have the tiles on our roof faded we had them re pointed and painted the tiles are fading to a point where they could do with another paint job.

Overall the colourbond is a great product what should in our lifetimes never require any maintenance. Colourbond fares much better than tiles in a severe hail storm.

When I erected the fence the cost of colourbond -v- timber the colourbond was a lot cheaper. I do not know the tiles-v- colourbond cost.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

There are good and bad sides to either choice of roofing. I love the sound of rain on a tin roof but I reckon it will be cheaper to repair,repoint and repaint the tiled roof rather than go to colourbond. If you do choose to go with the steel then I reckon El gringo's suggestion is on the money.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.