What would you have now if you rebuilt?

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
Dot

Re: What would you have now if you rebuilt?

Post by Dot »

One thing I would def be doing would be Double glazing with wooden not aluminium frames. My sister in Melb did her whole house a few yes ago and just loves them. Yep cost her $50 but they can afford it. :lol:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

mmm I agree with the double glazing but wood frames?
I owned a house in Clayton (Melbourne) and you could poke your finger through half of the window sills!!
Wet rot... dry rot ... smelly ... fungus ... sneezing .... nope, not for me!!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Dot

Post by Dot »

Bruce The new wooden frames are all treated, they are better for insulation compared to the aluminium which are either hot or cold. They even make frames from that plastic stuff like your decks. :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

Dot are you thinking about building a house?
Shirley & Bruce.
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

I would not have sliding windows as they do not help with ventilation. It could be hopper windows if the top comes down as they are opened.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
Dot

Post by Dot »

Shirley wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:51 pm Dot are you thinking about building a house?
My sister is always redesigning show homes and we always seem to come up with all different ideas, never know what comes up when you ask "what would you do" Seeing as her husband designs and builds the refrigeration truck trailers (Graystar) we got to thinking about a house out of his stuff then everything else came from that but it could be an idea Shirley when we have some idea of the next year or so. I would like to downsize so right now everything is open to thoughts.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Busman wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:35 am We are actually planning this right now as we prepare the current abode for sale.
As the T1 post had a lot of desirables I have copied it here and will modify it.

(1) Disability bathroom and wheel chair access throughout the house including big doorways and at least one entrance with wheel chair access. SMARTas some of us are getting older !
(2) Tile Roof with the house built strong enough to carry it, that is most of the reason houses these days have tin roofs, not the cost of the tiles. NO, all roof and walls will be coolroom panelling, lot of builders up here using this now.
(
You do know about the wiring issues and fire problems Bill? A good friend from the Illawarra built a big fish processing plant in Eden out of the cool room panelling, all built to the latest and greatest fire regs .... place burnt to the ground because once the insulation in between the aluminium started burning it couldn't be extinguished. Insurance found some loop hole about flammable insulation and paid a fraction of the insured value. Govt wouldn't let him rebuild because the latest fire regs were obviously not good enough and they hadn't figured out a way how to get around the problem. As far as wiring, it must be all inside metal conduit so the plasticisers in the insulation don't react with the plastic conduit and then the wiring, the reason put forward for the fire starting. Once the walls are put in place there appears to be no way to add the conduit because it can't be bent, so it must be installed while the sheet is laying flat on the ground.
I think I'd use Multipanel (Victorian stuff) like I did in the Big Bus project if insulation was that critical because it can be routed, it is non reactive with plastics and extremely fire resistant, but I doubt I'd bother really and just add that bubble wrap type insulation inside the walls.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Busman

Post by Busman »

The play room where the bar is has all been lined with polystyrene, then the gyprock glued over that. All certified and supplied with certificates stating the PS used is self extinguishing.
There are certainly various types of insulation and I know there is one hey use for vans and trucks where you can have all the tubing inserted as it is being produced.
We will look into it, but there are now so many builders up here using this sort of construction, they must be using something that is fire safe. Will ask the question of a couple when I get some time
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

One word ... Hebel!
A builder down at Kingston uses it a lot.
Some don't like it though.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Dot

Post by Dot »

Have friends that used Hebel for their addition, they are pleased with it..