Cleaning up dog hair.

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Cleaning up dog hair.

Post by BruceS »

Gotcha Ray but I'm not sure where you'd buy 'lino' these days!! :lol: :lol:
I used to talk that language but after several thousand $$$$$$ I now call it vinyl ..........
That old bituminous backed lino was good stuff in it's day though even if it did tear a bit easy.
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Vinyl... linoleum...
Why not just call it “flexible artificial/synthetic flooring “ and be completely PC? :roll:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

A little off topic;

but do be aware that 70's (earlier/later??) vinyl flooring probably contains asbestos.

(The Bedford floor tiles did.)
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

jon_d wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:54 pm A little off topic;

but do be aware that 70's (earlier/later??) vinyl flooring probably contains asbestos.

(The Bedford floor tiles did.)
It might be OT Jon, but still very relevant to what's happening in the world. The office that I occupy at work has asbestos in the floor tiles, also in the adhesive used to secure them. The suspended ceiling and also all the eves of the building also were found to contain more of the stuff. With the exception of the ceiling tiles, which were falling in on a regular basis, management decided not to touch anything, just ensure that it is on the asbestos register and will be dealt with in due course. I will certainly be off their books by then.
Just about everything produced in the 70's had some form of wonder ingredient, if it was to good to be true, then it probably contains asbestos.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Just about everything produced in the 70's had some form of wonder ingredient, if it was to good to be true, then it probably contains asbestos.
I grew up in a house built in the 50s or so... made entirely of Asbestos-Cement sheeting. The walls (inside & out), roof (corrugated A-C)... even the chimney for the coke-burner was A-C pipe!
The garage was constructed the same.
When I was about 13 my father stumbled and put a fairly large hole in one internal wall, which was not repaired for years. I was potentially exposed to the fibres, but no-one knew the problem then...
According to Dr Wikipedia, "Generally it requires a relatively large exposure over a long period of time." So it looks like I dodged that bullet.
My cancer wasn't Asbestosis (or correctly, Silicosis). It was a bone-marrow cancer called Multiple Myeloma. Cause unknown. I have a minor (age-related) lung problem, but in 25 years of X-rays, no-one has ever suggested I have Asbestosis.
Go figure.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Plasma cell myeloma, it's actually a type of plasma cell cancer,which are a type of white blood cell. The cancer cells form a mass in the bone marrow, they get the name multiple myeloma when there is more than one mass in the bodies bone marrow. The latest treatment is stem cell therapy, which works most times. Other than that it's the normal radiation and drug treatments.

Know someone who had that and some associated problems, not a nice thing to undergo at all. She beat it without drugs chemo or radiation.

Hope you have fully overcome it Ray and have a good future prognosis.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Thanks NP,
I was declared in full remission in January 2016, after 22 years of radiation and chemotherapy.
I was one of Australia’s guinea pigs for stem cell therapy. Certainly improved my chances!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Good to hear Ray, stem cell therapy is certainly a big step forward. Lots of youngsters who would have perished a decade or so ago, now have good happy lives. Its would be good if we could get away from teh debilitating effects of drug therapy and replace it with stem and gene therapy.