We gave up growing grass...

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
Greynomad

We gave up growing grass...

Post by Greynomad »

Until recently, there were 13 mature Eucalypts along our back fence. (The original owners apparently planted Eucalypts at 3ft intervals, judging by the stumps we've found!)
They were sucking all the moisture out of the soil, to the point we have a distinct line in the yard, beyond which we simply can't grow grass... (Not even weeds! :shock: )
Just before Christmas we had six trees removed, hoping that would improve our chances of gaining a lawn.
No such luck.
And we don't want to remove the last few shade trees.

So we've abandoned the idea of grass further south than the Maginot Grass Line... put this in instead.
Rock Garden.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Greynomad on Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Noggins

Re: We gave up growing grass...

Post by Noggins »

Not only do mature Eucalypts suck all the moisture from the soil they also excrete a sap that blankets the soil underneath themselves for "This is Mine" growing.
I used to live where the eucalypts excreted a sap all over the roads giving beautiful traction and cornering in the summer but became like an ice rink with the first rain.

Ron
Much that passes as idealism is disguised hatred or disguised love of power.

Ignorance is Liberating
You're not restricted by facts or knowledge.
You're a Free Person and, as such, able to form your own conclusions.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Noggins wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:47 pm Not only do mature Eucalypts suck all the moisture from the soil they also excrete a sap that blankets the soil underneath themselves for "This is Mine" growing.
I used to live where the eucalypts excreted a sap all over the roads giving beautiful traction and cornering in the summer but became like an ice rink with the first rain.

Ron
Had a few that did wonders for the paint job on the work ute when I parked it under them for shade, the sap took the paint off right back to the metal :roll: Boss wasn't real happy :twisted:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:42 pm Until recently, there were 13 mature Eucalypts along our back fence. (The original owners apparently planted Eucalpts at 3ft intervals, judging by the stumps we've found!)
They were sucking all the moisture out of the soil, to the point we have a distinct line in the yard, beyond which we simply can't grow grass... (Not even weeds! :shock: )
Just before Christmas we had six trees removed, hoping that would improve our chances of gaining a lawn.
No such luck.
And we don't want to remove the last few shade trees.

So we've abandoned the idea of grass further south than the Maginot Grass Line... put this in instead.
Rock Garden.jpeg
Looks good Ray, are you going to add fake grass for the last bit?

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

When I worked in the neighbors apple orchard the trees within 20mts of the gum trees the fruit never was any good. Go the All Blacks :D
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

It could have been worse Ray, they could have planted pine trees. They suck the life out of everything. Love the emu.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Emu's name is "Ollie".
Blame John (Riverlander).
Ollie was a custom build by a craftsman in Loxton. Took a few weeks after we ordered him (about six).
John 'minded' Ollie until we could get back across the border to collect him ... (pre-Covid) about a year ago.

BTW, we can grow daisies under the Eucalypts... can't stop the bluddy things. :? Worse than rabbits!
PS to the BTW: There's three tonnes of river rocks there. Dumped into the end near Ollie by a small tip-truck, then spread by hand :shock: by both of us on our knees. Bed is 7.8m x 3.6m. :? Took us three days — all day.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Cuppa

Post by Cuppa »

Here 'Oop Norf' we grow weeds in the paddock. Green last April, not so now! Waiting for rain.
DSC01622.png
IMG_1904 1.27.57 pm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:34 pm PS to the BTW: There's three tonnes of river rocks there. Dumped into the end near Ollie by a small tip-truck, then spread by hand :shock: by both of us on our knees. Bed is 7.8m x 3.6m. :? Took us three days — all day.
We were impressed when we first travelled to Mannum via Pinnaroo that they grew rocks in the paddocks where nothing else seemed to grow and they had trained sheep to eat them it seemed. The next trip over it had rained and apparently all the rocks had sprouted because it was green as far as we could see ......

T1 Terry
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

If you have even owned property in the times of drought, you would understand what the term 'lickn' dirt' means.
Its amazing how quick a touch of green pops up after a good bit of rain.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.