More profile info please?

General notices to members from Moderators & Administrators.
Lance

Re: More profile info please?

Post by Lance »

Perhaps Bruce could add 'First Name' to the profile page so it appears in the side bar over there >>>
Lance & Annee
Looking for more Music Festival Dates in Victoria 8-)
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

George,
Still better that some of the handles they give to kids these days.

PeterH
PeterH
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

bagmaker wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:38 am Pretty much half of the forum is called either Steve, Terry, Wayne or Alan. A sign of the times?

Cheers from W5Wayne
More a sign of your age. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

bagmaker wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:38 am Pretty much half of the forum is called either Steve, Terry, Wayne or Alan. A sign of the times?

Cheers from W5Wayne
Having a common name, gives you a form of anonymity as there are literally millions with the same name, but if you have an unusual first name and one that is not common at all, but extremely rare, it can make life difficult. In that case, broadcasting your name on the internet is the opposite of anonymity and can leave one open to all kinds of attacks and pathetic innuendo.

I'm one of those people who like my privacy, don't suffer from internet intrusion and nowhere on the net will you find my real identity and part of that is because of the work I do. My name is known where we work, but they won't find it on the net, so don't get inundated by those that follow our band, as used to happen many years ago when we used our personal home ph number on our flyer's. Now we use a separate phones for work and personal, as well as different emails. As it is to many know to much about us that they try to use for their advantage and another reason why I use a linux safe system.

Do understand for most it's all irrelevant, but for some, privacy means a lot and should have no effect upon forum interaction. If it became the case that real first names became mandatory, rather than make up a false name and lie, would have to leave as there would be no freedom any more, just demands to adhere to certain criteria not relevant to forum interaction.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

That is one reason why I never required it in the first place and I have already received a couple of PM's to that effect. Not everyone wanted to post like you did Native Pepper!!
Just be warned that a few on the forum will most likely treat anonymous posters in a slightly different way than those that are more open.
At this stage I'm going to leave it as it is. There are a couple who have a good reason to remain unknown to the public but a lot of us do know who they are.
I also know that IF I did make it mandatory, that anyone could use any name they wish.... I could be Brutus!!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Lance

Post by Lance »

A poster does not need to identify themselves if they don't wish to.
It's no big deal if Bruce was to be Brutus, we would simply use that name when referring to him.

Using a name, true or fake, is much more personal way to chat to ppl I think, it just seems to be friendlier than words, but each to his own.

Lots of members on another forum used 'fake' names and there was never an issue that I knew of.
Does anyone know if Lance is my real name ?
Lance & Annee
Looking for more Music Festival Dates in Victoria 8-)
Dot

Post by Dot »

Isn't your real name ''Little - Sir- Lance - a - lot with dreadlocks" :twisted:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
justgarbage

Post by justgarbage »

BruceS wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:57 am I could be Brutus!!
There goes my name change to Julius Caesar, "et tu Brutae" :D
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

native pepper wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:12 am

Cheers from W5Wayne
Having a common name, gives you a form of anonymity as there are literally millions with the same name, but if you have an unusual first name and one that is not common at all, but extremely rare, it can make life difficult. In that case, broadcasting your name on the internet is the opposite of anonymity and can leave one open to all kinds of attacks and pathetic innuendo.

I'm one of those people who like my privacy, don't suffer from internet intrusion and nowhere on the net will you find my real identity and part of that is because of the work I do. My name is known where we work, but they won't find it on the net, so don't get inundated by those that follow our band, as used to happen many years ago when we used our personal home ph number on our flyer's. Now we use a separate phones for work and personal, as well as different emails. As it is to many know to much about us that they try to use for their advantage and another reason why I use a linux safe system.

Do understand for most it's all irrelevant, but for some, privacy means a lot and should have no effect upon forum interaction. If it became the case that real first names became mandatory, rather than make up a false name and lie, would have to leave as there would be no freedom any more, just demands to adhere to certain criteria not relevant to forum interaction.
At least an identifier as to male or female would help.... Bruce lead me astray with you gender NP and caused a bit of a ruckus early on :oops: and there is nothing worse than being caught out referring to a poster in the masculine gender and then it turns out they are the feminine half of the couple..... Chris and Val was a good example over on the CF as everyone assumed Val was short for Valerie and Chris short for Christopher, Chris is actually Christine or is it Christene and Val is short for Valdis
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO