Why??

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
Helen Grose

Re: Why??

Post by Helen Grose »

with some of the roads the way they are its like being on an ocean going diferent ways We travel between 85/ 90 Normally but the other day Paul was down to about 70 so anyone could pass with ease We try to help others,Yes i agree some go to fast and others to slow and thing is drive safely [emoji5][emoji5][emoji5]

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

native pepper wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:54 pm
Barboots wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:48 pm Stuck without an exploration vehicle? No thanks [emoji6]
We use electric mountain bike for exploring places, they are so good and have a range on one battery of 40klms and if you peddle a bit, much further. Have towed a 4x4 behind a bus, but when electric mountain bikes came along, ditched the car and haven't looked back. Have ridden from Wangaratta to Bright on the old rail line and back, which was a lovely ride and have ridden up mountain trails and tracks to get to some places you can't drive.

bikes.jpg
So ya didnt get folders...??? was lookin into them and came across a Chinlee model with Engrish writing

https://www.leitner.com.au/electric-fol ... -html.html

A step through cos of me mother mccrees... Pretty cheap so might just be cheep clap...???

This Magnun looks the goods ... 8-) :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIaaBTwSW6o

Was leaning to the folders for motorhome as you say, ya can nick off, but hangin em on the back...??? :o

Why did we ever stop hangin theives...???

vik...
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Our bikes fold up if we want them to, had no need so far as they travel in the trailer.
BillieBlue

Post by BillieBlue »

We tow a Zukie behind our Espie and sit between 90.. to.. 100..klm which is plenty fast enough for me ,solid on the road unless
a big cross wind hits you .They can bring you to grief.

One time near Kingaroy , a big cross wind hit me and it pushed my rig over to the other side of the road,lucky there were no cars
coming the other way at the time,that was scary .
Billie Blue
Jatz

Post by Jatz »

GoinBush wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:55 pm This is a genuine question, not a stir.

Why do people towing caravans drive so sloooow? I got stuck behind one doing 80 !! Kms an hour on the way home yesterday. 130 k limit. Dirty great big Toyota Land Cruiser, not a huge van, why can't they do 100?? :evil:
Sounds like they were driving safely to me. Why should any driver have to drive faster to appease those in behind?
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Caravans are the most dangerous and unstable things to tow, so 80klms is sensible in my opinion. You see vans being towed racing down the road swaying away, or across the road in winds all the time. During holiday periods when we are travelling you see destroyed caravans regularly, or bits and pieces flying of them because some fool hasn't locked them down properly and is in a hurry to get home or to their holiday spot.

Always stay clear of vans on the road and as we travel at 90klms, they are normally charging past us. If not they are doing the right thing by driving carefully. One of the worst problem I come across, is vehicles which hog the centre of the road and are crawling along, they even sit across the middle line, which means you can't see past or can't get past and anything coming the other way has to move onto the shoulder, or clips the van sending it off the road.

Traveled using a van for one year, at the bequest of an ex. Dumped them both and got back into a bus and haven't looked back since, would never have a van again. But they are good for those only using them once or twice a year for holidays, but when you look at the costs, a converted bus would be cheaper and safer all round, if you have a licence to drive a big rig.
GoinBush

Post by GoinBush »

Jatz wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 am
GoinBush wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:55 pm This is a genuine question, not a stir.

Why do people towing caravans drive so sloooow? I got stuck behind one doing 80 !! Kms an hour on the way home yesterday. 130 k limit. Dirty great big Toyota Land Cruiser, not a huge van, why can't they do 100?? :evil:
Sounds like they were driving safely to me. Why should any driver have to drive faster to appease those in behind?
And that was the genuine question. Why?
It seems the size and pulling power of the tow vehicle has nothing to do with it, it sounds as if caravans are dangerous to tow, so tow them slow.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

GoinBush wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:39 pm
Jatz wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 am

And that was the genuine question. Why?
It seems the size and pulling power of the tow vehicle has nothing to do with it, it sounds as if caravans are dangerous to tow, so tow them slow.
Maybe a case of caravan design creating a dangerous unit not being suitable for towing at speed. A well built 5th wheeler is a caravan of sorts yet it doesn't have the same towing problems, but then a heavy one also requires a suitably trained and tested driver where a caravan of the same weight does not...... a case of the rule makers needing to catch up with the real world where caravans are no longer light weight ply wood things towed behind the FJ. A simple fix would be a change in licencing requirements to tow any trailer and the moose test applied to trailers the same way they are to the tow vehicle, then things would change for the better, but I can't see it happening before then
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

With the preponderance of dual cab ute vehicles, very much a favourite of caravanners now, it might be time for legislators to encourage the industry to move towards 5th wheelers, small and big, for the safety of all road users.

Sometimes I dream.
Steve Williams
http://stevew1945blog.com/

Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.
Oliver Goldsmith. 1728 -1774
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Every one towing anything over 3m should go through a course and to be licenced to drive a small articulated vehicle. When you see how they load, drive and park, you can see they are accidents waiting to happen. If you can't back something into a limited area, you shouldn't be driving it.

When i got my semi licence, they wouldn't let me drive until could back the semi down a long lane with about 6 inches each side and around a slight corner and then out again 3 times. Had to do it with a tanker, flat top and dog trailer. Didn't get my first trip out of the yard for days until could do it over and over, that got me into road trains and over size haulage jobs later on.