longivety of li-ion battery.

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
native pepper

longivety of li-ion battery.

Post by native pepper »

In 2000 bought a panasonic analogue video camera and used it for many years for gigs, festivals and other stuff. Few years ago picked up a cheap digital video camera and put the analogue away in the camera bag, where it has sat unused for years.

Last week the digital camera failed, resulting in weird colours and distorted images, so pulled out the old analogue hoping the battery would charge up after so long. Only to find it was still functioning after sitting for about 7 years and worked for most of the night, before shutting down.

Upon getting home and for the first time, looked at the little battery pack to discover it was a li-ion, put it on the charger for awhile and it worked. So decided to see if they were still available and it turns out, panasonic still use the same battery for their digital cameras, but with more than double the capacity and at reasonable prices considering how long mine has lasted and still works.

Have ordered a new larger capacity battery and after comparing the digital with the analogue, feel the analogue gives a much warmer result and the panasonic camera is an excellent one. Which means the digital one will be junked and all my vids will be analogue, but really love my digital SLR.

Just thought I'd let others know that it seems the original claims of 20+ years for lithium, is not far from the mark and panasonic seems to have got the charge parameters pretty right for li-ion. Which makes me feel much better regarding my lifepo4 life spans, just hope I have charge parameters right for them.