Bob K's Hino BC144

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
bobk

Bob K's Hino BC144

Post by bobk »

Things ground to a halt with the bus, I replaced the front wheel cylinders, kitted the primary pedal cylinder and replaced the rubber hoses linking the reservoir to the primary cylinder, after much fiddling about with pressure bleeding and vacuum bleeding, finally came down to old fashioned bleeding, (no not the slashed wrist type) seemingly successful, went to bed, looked at the reservoir level in the morning, and the level had dropped. That Chinese fellow Ah phuck had been around!!!! Drips of fluid on the floor and running down the new rubber hoses. Removed the original wire ring clips and replaced them with hose clamps. That will be better, right? Nope, finished up using a little socket and ratchet to do up the worm screws, tightened to within an inch of their lives, and there was still dampness around a couple of the hose ends. SOOOOOO!!!! Mrs K says let's go away; we have been house bound for several years due to #1 son being very ill and finally leaving us, so it's about time. Let's go to Cairns visiting all the friends and family on the way. Let's take the Nissan Qashqai and stay in motels and peoples houses. That's a plan. Hang on, Mrs K sees a 16 foot Jayco Freedom on 'market place' whatever that is! So now we have this nice little old caravan but of course the Nissan won't pull that, it doesn't even have a towbar! Lets take the Tony's Holden Adventra (he left it to me) 5.7 litres of thumping V8, all-wheel drive, that'll do the job!! (and of course I love it). Damn fine so off we go from Adelaide last Monday 22nd July. Arrived at friends house at Murray Bridge, they suggested we stay the night and as the wind had risen to gale force, we did. And also the next night. Wednesday came about clear and still, so off we go. Car performed beautifully, watching the fuel economy we sat between 86 and 90 on cruise, and she loved it. Until......couple of nights later we were at Moree, nice enough park, just overnight, and the following morning set off for Toowoomba. We made it 22 k's out of Moree, and the revs started to rise and speed fell away and after stopping and humming dark dirges to myself gave a little rev to the engine, it tried to roll on a bit, then whirring noises came from the transmission. That same Chinese bloke must have hidden in the back of the car!!! Still in phone range so rang the RAA who had discussions with NRMA and to cut a long story shorter, we were towed back to Moree, RAA paid for 2 nights, and towing and for towing/carrying the outfit and us to Toowoomba. Our out-of-pockets are $160 for excess for towing the van plus accommodation at Toowoomba (originally two weeks because the transmission people were flat out and we were at the end of the list (one week) and the second week taken to complete the job, plus of course, the rebuild costs. Latest is that it won't (probably) take that long. So here we are in sunny but cold Toowoomba. An old Airforce adage is to hurry up and wait!! We're doing it. And the Hino can do the same damn thing!
bobk

Klm/Litre 5.91
L/100K 16.49
$/100K $26.37 on mainly 95 octane
Bob and Lyn aka Mr & Mrs K.
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Bob K's Hino BC144

Post by BruceS »

Oh Bugger!!!
Please leave that Chinee fellow up there !!!
Are you getting an oil cooler installed Bob? I see some like to plug in a device that sends tranny temps to a smart ph that sits on the dash? OBD2 scan tool?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

bobk

Post by bobk »

Hi Bruce, must admit that I didn't consider an oil cooler. And come to think of it, it might already have one. The car is not nearby so I can't look. My son and I took the car up to Airlie Beach and across to Chartres Towers towing what I believe would be a heavier weight and at greater speeds 2 or 3 years ago. A caged tilt trailer with a buggy on board and loaded down with 5 jerry cans of fuel/water tentage, tools, baggage and so on, sometimes running out of grunt on the hills. The buggy had roll bars and a roof as well so the windage would have been horrific. (Maybe that was the start of my current dilemma, who would know?) I will talk to the people who are doing the job about it. Good thought.
bobk
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

G'day Bob, nice to have the chat with MrsK yesterday.

Kinda surprised to read about the trannie trubs with the V8 but now re reading about that trip with Tony & the trailer/buggy & recalling your story about that trip :shock: I'm inclined to agree ... that is probably when it all started.

Hope the fix is reliable & the $$$ reasonable & that you may be able to continue with the trip.

Good luck mate, hugs to you both.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
bobk

Post by bobk »

Had a nice visit from D and G today with morning tea and lunch at the shopping centre. Lovely to see them both. Yeah well, we will probably never know, probably won't get any advice until Monday, if then, so in the mean time just sit and wait. Mrs' long lost cousin visiting tomorrow and will take us out to look around so not all bad. Thanks for your wishes. And we do hope to carry on with the trip, so better than even chance that we will be climbing the hill out of Penrith. Is the kettle on? R.
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

Bob,

The good thing is, it's a V8 Holden and cheap to fix. (same if it was a Ford). Newer cars would have cost a motza. :shock:
bobk

Post by bobk »

6/8 Latest is that the transmission has been assessed and no major damage, the torque converter has been sent somewhere and the tx parts are at the fixers. Bruce you were on the money as they have suggested installing an oil cooler so we are going along with that. We hope to be out of Toowoomba Friday....keep positive.
bobk
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

"tanks" here---
When I was torwin the caravan with the Daimler I had to use the manual 3rd gear, instead of driving in the auto selector. If you have that type of gearshift you may have to drive in a manual selected gear instead of auto which tries to go along at the highest ratio gear and overheats.
Does this post make sense ?
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Bob, we're still at Milla Milla but leaving this Sunday & heading south - hopefully the cold snap down there will have abated - & should be home by Thursday PM so as long as the roof is still on then yes - the kettle will be on.

Good luck & safe travels.
Chuck & Catriana
aka Geriatric Gypsies.

2018 VW Tiguan.
White.
Swisslulu

Bob K's Hino BC144

Post by Swisslulu »

Do you want to overnight here on the way through Chuck? Jill and David were asking after you both when we saw them the Friday before last.
Cheers
Lesley
Our Blog: http://lesleyanderich.wordpress.com