What a great race

Anything you like to talk about..Dot is the boss...
Mrcoolabah1au

Re: What a great race

Post by Mrcoolabah1au »

Go ford 🏎
Coolabah1au
Wayne nini
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

It was good to see how many of the truly fast cars were in the top 10 shoot out. Only two Fords missed the shoot out and that was probably due to the teams not being able to get a wet track set up sorted in time. It was unusual it didn't rain during the race, that always sorts the racers from the also rans, but still a great race. Can't believe 2 drivers from the same crew took each other out, just dumb driver stuff.
A few things became evident, the door latch system needs revisiting, the cooler box and air supply to the drivers helmet needs sorting before it kills someone rather than delaying the start .... imagine if that had turned up during racing conditions rather than on the formation lap.
A good solution to the safety car becoming a telling factor in the race, stop the race and restart from their current positions from the starting grid. The lapped drivers start in their relative position back down the grid. This would eliminate the dive into the pits as soon as a safety car is called, if they are in the pits when the safety car is called then that is where they start from and the pit lane isn't opened until the last car has passed. This would put them behind the lapped cars as well as the rest of the pack. The same thing that causes the team to call a car into the pits before the actual safety car is deployed would have them getting any car in there already out as fast as possible so they are not trapped in the pits when the safety car is deployed. They could even go as far as not letting each car leave the start/finish line until the lead car was the same time ahead of them when they last crossed the start/finish line. Something would need to be sorted as far as the lapped cars, maybe they have to start from the pit lane so they aren't still sitting on the track when the lead lap pack cross the start finish line, but maybe a separate lane so they aren't blocking those using the pits for a proper pit stop.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Was there a race on this weekend,must of missed it :twisted: :oops: :roll: :roll: :D :D :D :D ...........Peter
YUP.
Singapore F1... :P
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Mrcoolabah1au wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:48 am Go ford 🏎
Well, finish the quote: "Go ford 🏎 & x"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

T1,
Not sure your proposals could be implemented.
Might be simpler to go with Vik's thoughts:
"Read the bl**dy flags, nong!" and dispense with the safety car entirely... after all, they did from 1963 to the beginning of the Supercar era.
I remember being at the Mountain as a lad, & the marshalls waved white flags to indicate a towtruck was on the track, en route to collect a modified car somewhere while the race proceeded at full pace.
It was up to drivers to avoid creating more work for the towtruck. (Or creating more work OF the towtruck! :shock: )
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--

W.C.Fields
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

Yes, some safety aspects need to be reviewed - agreed.

As far as the safety car issues are concerned, that's easy to fix.
Just close the pits as soon as the safety car boards and flags are shown.
Been done successfully in Nascar and it's a simple and easy fix to setup here as well.

I do like seeing pit stops in races, it spices it up.
I don't like the compulsary aspects of it though - there is too much emphasis on parity IMO.
If a team can make their car more fuel efficient or give better tyre life, why can't we see the benefit of it in the pits as well as on the track?
This whole emphasis on parity is what has ruined the racing in my opinion.
In the old days you had Mini's, Cortina's Falson's etc all capable of winning races.
I think that's why I like TCM so much more, still over regulated, but much closer to the original concept of motor racing.

Cheers,
Bernie B
I plan to stop procrastinating tomorrow.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

The track marshals are all volunteers so their safety is paramount, so OH&S demands their working environment is the major focus. even if they were employees that would be the case, but the racing would be banned if volunteers were deliberately put in danger.
get all the cars off the track and let the volunteers work in safety, if the car can be driven back to the pit once extracted then it can be done without risk to the drivers in full race mode. If it can't be driven to the pit then it is dragged off into a position away from the race track and can only be returned to the pit on a flat top during the next race stoppage if that can be done in the allowed time frame. The safety car just bunches the field up and returns it to before the pit entrance, those still on the lead lap go to their grid positions at the start/finish line and those lapped go to the holding lanes before the pit entrance and they must pass through the pits to resume the race. The pit remains open for anyone who wants to enter the pit, but they can't leave the pit until the last car on the lead lap has passed the pit exit point.

As far as pit stops, it could be like endurance cart racing where a minimum time is set between pit entry and exit, but that speed of the pit crew and driver change does add another aspect to the racing ....
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Vik351

Post by Vik351 »

Real racin...

enjoy ... :D :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo29K9zrscs

vik...
Merk 4x4 VF30 519 CDI 2020 LWB V6TD 3 ltr 6 wheeler ,Tenorite Grey ... yep, it's not white ...!!! 8-)
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Vik351 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:38 pm Real racin...

enjoy ... :D :D :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo29K9zrscs

vik...
Yep, back in the good ol' days. When you could go to Bathurst, drive on the race track, if you were prepared to take the chance of being caught speeding and be a boy racer. :lol: :lol: Then watch the race.
Times have changed, sometimes for the better, others maybe not!
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Dot

Post by Dot »

I would like to see each team do their own thing (set up, tyres, fuel etc) but the outcome may be different in a day or so.... Go Holden's ;) I love the sound of those cars more than anything
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.