Slide On versus Campervan

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Janette

Re: Slide On versus Campervan

Post by Janette »

Thanks everyone, I love hearing your opinions. A friend has an Iveco and I have had a little drive. They are very nice but very big to use for shopping, running around, etc. My friend has taken out a gate post with it. Definitely rear wheel drive is a big plus. 90,000 klms between timing belts isn't much. I prefer chains but I don't think many use them now. I've seen what happens with a broken timing belt.

Tanks, converting with over 600,000ks on the clock, you must think they are pretty good. What have you found problematic with the Sprinter?
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan
esros

Post by esros »

hi Janette - I was actually thinking for a little moment - about getting a slide-on - however - don't think I could spend a long time in it if I ever wanted to travel full time - but my cousin intends to travel in theirs for 6 or 7 years but they wish to tow a 16 ft boat and there is no other reasonable option - he said that you have to be very careful with your GVM as it is very easy to 'overload' the car. In fact - he's just gone and got 2 extra wheels added to his Nissan Navara! Esme
Keith Morris

Post by Keith Morris »

Janette wrote:Thanks everyone, I love hearing your opinions. A friend has an Iveco and I have had a little drive. They are very nice but very big to use for shopping, running around, etc. My friend has taken out a gate post with it. Definitely rear wheel drive is a big plus. 90,000 klms between timing belts isn't much. I prefer chains but I don't think many use them now. I've seen what happens with a broken timing belt.

Tanks, converting with over 600,000ks on the clock, you must think they are pretty good. What have you found problematic with the Sprinter?

"tanks" here--Janette--
I prefer to use my Iveco on shopping trips instead of taking one of my Rolls Royces, or my Jaguar sedan car.

The Iveco uses a lot less fuel and I have no trouble parking in shopping centres----I park away from the front-line parking bays. Tell your friend to get a wider gate or learn how to miss the gate posts.

Don't settle on a LITTLE DRIVE ----go for a LONG DRIVE, and try several different makes before you decide. Compare them against each other.
My Mercedes Sprinter is a 2000 yeaR MODEL --NO CRUISE CONTROL, no electric windows, awkward driving position, and "Russell" does not like the passenger seat as he can,t look out the window. He prefers to go down the back and sit on the bed when we are moving.
Otherwise, after going half way around Australia so far, I can live with it.
The IVECO 2005 model has a timing chain not a belt. I think the 2006 year models have the timing belt.
Keith.

I'm now 85 years of age and living in WA, single (gave up looking), white hair, no teeth, no address, no money, no worries.
Janette

Post by Janette »

Thanks Keith, much appreciated hearing your thoughts.
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan
Janette

Post by Janette »

esros wrote:hi Janette - I was actually thinking for a little moment - about getting a slide-on - however - don't think I could spend a long time in it if I ever wanted to travel full time - but my cousin intends to travel in theirs for 6 or 7 years but they wish to tow a 16 ft boat and there is no other reasonable option - he said that you have to be very careful with your GVM as it is very easy to 'overload' the car. In fact - he's just gone and got 2 extra wheels added to his Nissan Navara! Esme
Thanks Esme,
Weight is a real problem with the slide on, you have to be very careful. I think a van is the sensible way to go for me.
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan
Dot

Post by Dot »

OK Janette, did you make a decision? love to hear what you have done.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Janette

Post by Janette »

Not yet Dot, still pondering and getting desperate for some comfort and ability to cook out of foul weather. It is going to happen soon, I just need to stop procrastinating. Maybe an Iveco???? Thanks for asking.
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan
Dot

Post by Dot »

A woman pondering!! never :) keep looking and you will get there. :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

You could build a 5ér, or fit out an extended kombi, but a Toyota or Mazda ex bus is by far the easiest option.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Janette

Post by Janette »

Thanks Terry, would prefer a Toyota but the buses are too big and very difficult to find an auto.
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan