Slide On versus Campervan

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Janette

Slide On versus Campervan

Post by Janette »

Hi,
I would love to hear some opinions from experience, friends or just observations while camping on a Slide On versus a Campervan.

I don't want a large motorhome but insulation is important as I travel with dogs. I have a Hiace without a pop-top or high roof and it's time to get something I can stand up in. I'm over lifting the seat to get to the battery or engine and a taller van would have to be the go.

I use the Hiace as my everyday vehicle and ideally would do so with another vehicle.

Appreciate any feedback.
Janette
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan
Dot

Re: Slide On versus Campervan

Post by Dot »

Hi and welcome Janette,
We have a friend that went from a smallish camper van to a slide on and thought she was in heaven, easier to accommodate the little dog (temperature wise) if left alone for a short time. She had a small fan which ran from the inverter. I would say do your homework on any vehicles "insulation" statements as we know most people that build any rv's do take liberties with the truth/facts.. How about a pic of your furr kids. We are presently doing a short trip with our cat and she is taking to it very well, sleeps all the time :lol: :lol: so I guess she is ok. Good luck and keep asking questions.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Janette

Post by Janette »

Hi Dot,
Thanks for your reply, and feedback I have a couple of chihuahua rescues from a puppy farm. Took me 3 months to catch them in the house, they were so scared. I'll look for a pic to post.

Yes I can see definite advantages with a slide on.
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan
Dot

Post by Dot »

There was a puppy farm caught near to us in SA in the last couple of months, certainly interesting to know the "professions" associated with them as well. :twisted:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Welcome to the forum from both of us as well.
Now from the other side. A slide on high enough to stand up in would be very tail and rather unstable to drive. The problem is the floor starts higher than the floor of the ute tray, this puts all the weight up high. to get in or out of the slide on requires a ladder and you can not get to the drivers seat from the slide on without getting out the back, putting the ladder away, then walking around to the drivers side, unlocking the door and getting in. Not good if you need a quick get away from a free camp. With a campervan you can get from the back to the front without ever needing to go outside.
My wife Margaret loves the fact you can see just what's happening in the house part while you are travelling, you couldn't do this with a slide on.
The other plus for a campervan, a lot of the weight like batteries and water tanks can go under the floor, this keeps the weight down low so the vehicle is easier to drive.
Besides the issues with getting from the bed to the drivers seat in the middle of the night and not being able to just look around to see if anythig is sliding around etc, a work around would be a slide on with a poptop and mounting the water tanks and batteries under the ute floor with quick connects to the slide on.

T1 Terry & Margaret
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Janette

Post by Janette »

Thanks Terry and Margaret,
Those are essentially the arguments that send me from one to the other and indecision. Access to the driver seat particularly. I look at the taller vans, don't feel confident about European vans. Each brand seems to have it's problems.

I can buy a slide on under $25k, but to buy a van and have it converted looking at $40k for the conversion alone roughly. Feel that the slide on seems to offer more privacy, insulation and no whizz bang. I've been toing and froing since April and can't seem to make a decision.
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan
Dot

Post by Dot »

What do you do most of ? free camping or with others and or caravan parks ? How about you try one of each out if you can, do they do an apro or similar? maybe hire? Never fear there will be some others coming on soon who will have either and they can share their knowledge and experience.. It is the weekend and some of the mob here get out and kick up their heels then end up with a headache etc etc.if you know what I mean ;) ;)
Janette

Post by Janette »

I prefer free camping and rest areas particularly on the Pacific Highway in NSW can be a little daunting. I try to make sure at least another vehicle where possible.

That's a good point thanks Dot.
Janette
Hiace DIY Campervan
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Would a poptop conversion to your HiAce and batteries that are easier to get to be a better idea then? I'm not sure if they do the door and fit in panel for the sliding door replacement that suit the HiAce, but that might be worth looking into as well if you are thinking of keeping the HiAce.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Dot

Post by Dot »

That man does have some ideas when given a dig :lol: what size is your present vehicle?? might get some ideas for alterations :idea: :idea: