What did you do to your rig today?

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
supersparky

Re: What did you do to your rig today?

Post by supersparky »

jon_d wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 pm Good work Dave.

Soon, the beer will be cold and then Bernie can visit.
That sounds like a plan Jon. There's always room out the front. But it's pretty boring in suburbia. Unless you go for a walk somewhere.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

I would put a 12 or 240 volt fridge in David .
Then maybe you will have beer cold enough .
Thanks for thinking of me Jon :D
Bernie .
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

Lately I have been stripping as much weight as possible out of the van and ute, took the set of draws and mat out of the tub and they combined at 86kg. Will now sort out all my gear and will be taking only what I believe I will use. Sorting out the front boot of the van and original solar panel is out as well as the aussie traveller anti flap side bars and replaced by light weight grip system. So far about 40 kg gone from there but not much more can go from the van.

Installed to light strips on the awning roller, one white and one yellow taking half the length each colour.

Now I need to pick up the MPPT controller from T1 and install it. Look at a small inverter for the electric blankets and set up the chrome cast
Buy the new solar blanket which will save at lest another 11 kg by not taking the folding set of panels so before even sorting out my gear there 100kg gone from the ute.

Reason behind all the weight reduction is I have to take my maintenance gear for working on the house at Adelaide River.

Will re weigh the set up when I have packed again but we were always under on the ute.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

It has been said many times that the key to having a successful 3 way fridge is to have a decent installation.
No Dave, the only way to have success with a 3 way fridge is find someone to sell it to, then put the money to good use and buy a household 240vac inverter fridge/freezer so you can put all the 3 way fridge dramas into campfire stories :lol: Using a technology that was first discovered in 1858 in the 21st century just doesn't make sense https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator. Better to seal the holes to keep the dust out, forget about additional insulation because it will actually make it less efficient, fit a decent size fridge/freezer with auto defrost in both the fridge and freezer yet uses less power than a 12v fridge even including the inefficiency of the inverter to power it.
The other plus, if it stops working, you can find a fridge mechanic who can fix it or tell you it has passed on, try that with a 3 way or 12v compressor fridge, you need to travel to Mildura to see Bob & Bev to get it fixed properly :lol: If it can't be fixed, walk it to the door and push it out, get onto Appliances on line or similar and buy a replacement for well under $1,000, often around the $500 mark for a 250ltr one .....

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

Yesterday I took the inverter out of the Hino that let the smoke out on our NSW trip and started to strip it out. Got about 3/4 of the way but the eyes gave out, so back into it today and see if I can get the main board out ...... putting it back together might be another story :shock: :lol: Those screws are so small I'm going to have fun finding the holes they go back into :roll:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

I managed to sell my useless Waeco 220l frig for $600 and buy a 240V Hisense of the same size for $450 and an inverter for $150. Not only does the frig perform perfectly but the interior space is more efficient. It may not be an inverter frig but it does the job. Dave was toying with the idea of replacing his frig during the last Taggerty get together and even took measurements of mine. ;)

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
RobertNotBob

Post by RobertNotBob »

George what size and brand inverter and where from cheers Robert
T1 Terry

Post by T1 Terry »

RobertNotBob wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:53 pm George what size and brand inverter and where from cheers Robert
If its an inverter type fridge, the Victron 275 will start and run it, but if it isn't, it needs the Victron 800. Found that out the hard way, the initial start up current of new fridge in the bus set up we just completed was too much for the 275 inverter but runs fine on the 800.
Tom & Carmel run a Projecta IP2000 for their fridge, washing machine and inverter plus a few other power points for computer and phone charging and a separate 3000/9000 for the air conditioner and other high power draw appliances wired into separate power points so it can be switched on/off when needed or not to save on the savage stand by current draw.

T1 Terry
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

RobertNotBob wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:53 pm George what size and brand inverter and where from cheers Robert
Robert, here is a current link to the one I purchased (24VDC) some years ago. The price hasn't altered much. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pure-Sine-W ... 1438.l2649

I can't see one for 12V from the same supplier. You may be able to contact the seller re a 12V one.

I also run a twin tub washing machine from it.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Robert I use a 600w PSW inverter to run my 240v fridge .
The fridge is a Sterling from Aldi 212 lts from memory .
Bernie .