Fuso MJ527

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Dot

Re: Fuso MJ527

Post by Dot »

Lance wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 pm This them Dot ?

https://www.nippontruck.com.au/

......over in Tottenham.
Thats him Lance a lot, thank you :)
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Fuso MJ527

Post by T1 Terry »

BruceS wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:11 pm There are quite a few different turbos but only a few different internals.
I suggest before anyone goes & buys a new turbo they check out if it can be reconditioned as Dot says.
I think John's bus doesn't have any turbo at all?..... yet!
If the motor has a lot of km's on it it might be a gamble to turbo it at all.
The fuel pump most likely will need setting to 'compliment' the new turbo?
With Japanese engines the motor build is different between a turbo and non turbo model. Pistons have small combustion chambers for non turbo and turbo have larger combustion chambers to lower the compression and much thicker under the bowl to accommodate that added pressure. They have oil jets that squirt up under the piston crowns to cool the combustion chamber in each cyl. An after market turbo can be installed but must run at much lower boost pressure than a factory turbo engine. When I bought the new pistons for my Mazda 3500 engine I had to sign a waiver that the engine did not have a turbo fitted and there was no warranty on the pistons or other components supplied if an after market turbo was fitted at a later date.
In addition it must have the fuel pump adjusted to make use of the extra air/oxygen added to each combustion cycle, other wise it will not have any more power and maybe even less power than it had before the turbo was fitted. The down side to this pump adjustment is when the turbo is not up to speed to create full pressure too much fuel will be injected each cycle resulting in black smoke.
I've seen a few installs where they also added LPG and that only injects into the air stream when the turbo reaches full boost pressure. The LPG is added as a liquid and uses the heat generated in the air by the turbo to change the liquid to a gas and this acts as a sort of intercooler. Back when LPG was cheap it made logical sense to add the LPG rather than an intercooler, similar cost but far better fuel cost savings, the savings wouldn't be near as good these days so .......

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO