Fuso MJ527

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
supersparky

Re: Fuso MJ527

Post by supersparky »

Welcome back John. I see that you have been hanging out elsewhere. Do you still have the '33?
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
sunnykids

Post by sunnykids »

Hi David, yes, spacebooking, I found it easier on the smartphone. Starting to get a lot of d..heads on there though. Yes, still have the 33. I went to the Beachfest at Caloundra this year, good turnout. I heard Wintersun is losing its appeal. I will be down your way next week, I have to take the 33 windscreen to "Glass for Classics" to get replaced as it has two big cracks in it.
How are you going, on the road much these days?
John
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

sunnykids wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:01 pm Thanks Bruce, will make sure I have good access
Not sure about the chain drive, I know Mitsubishi used that technology on the older Pajero's so wouldn't be surprised. still trying to source a workshop manual. The dealer up here wants $80 for an engine manual on CD. Wouldn't mind if it was a hard copy but $80 for a CD is a bit rich?
There is a Facebook page for Fuso owners but still waiting to be added. Hopefully will get more information then.
Most certainly is a chain drive and a major issue with higher mileage units. To get to the non exposed side of the engine requires a lot of work including removing the radiator to get access to the alternator. The alternator control is combined with the starter control so the starter can't be engaged when the engine is running. I think there is also an oil pressure sense in there as well that turns the whole thing off if oil pressure is lost. There is actually no voltage regulator as such, there is a combination between 2 separate sealed and encapsulated circuit board boxes and a few relays and solenoids, 6 mile of wiring and no one seems to know what actually goes where and does what ..... They were a domestic market only vehicle from what I can find out so there was no actual service workshop type support network, if it died the factory just replaced or some such thing.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
sunnykids

Post by sunnykids »

No computer engine management that's what I like. If the alternator gives any problems I will bin it and run a standard internal regulator alternator KISS principal.
330.000km on the chain so hopefully a few years left yet. I think there is a place Melbourne that can make them or source a replacement. Turbo will be the first major mod.
Terry, what 24-240v inverter around 3kw is good value at the moment ?
Dot

Post by Dot »

sunnykids wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:15 pm No computer engine management that's what I like. If the alternator gives any problems I will bin it and run a standard internal regulator alternator KISS principal.
330.000km on the chain so hopefully a few years left yet. I think there is a place Melbourne that can make them or source a replacement. Turbo will be the first major mod.
We did our turbo.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

sunnykids wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:15 pm No computer engine management that's what I like. If the alternator gives any problems I will bin it and run a standard internal regulator alternator KISS principal.
The W7 type 24v 3000/9000 inverters are the cheapest, last well as long as you keep checking that the fan is working and replace it when it dies. They do have a savage stand by draw though so unless you have a big battery and solar array they can't be left turned on 24/7. The Projecta IP2000 is great inverter, very small stand by no load current and an eco mode that actually shuts the inverter down till it senses a load. These are around twice the price of a W& type and limited to 2000w via the battery/inverter output but at least they have fixed the 2000w limit on the AC transfer so the only limit there is the RCD on the plug in power supply.
An experiment I'm yet to have the time to try is feeding the output from a W7 to the input of an IP2000 and see if that works. The idea is to leave the IP2000 on 24/7 and only turn the W7 on when a high power items needs the extra output.
If you have the room the newest PIP 4024 has a continuous rating of 4,000w and a built in 60 amp mains charger and auto switch through and an 80 amp MPPT controller, all that for the price of the IP2000. The down sides are the room required and they do have a standby draw higher than IP2000 but at least a bit lower than the W7.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
sunnykids

Post by sunnykids »

Dot, do you mean you installed your own turbo ?
Dot

Post by Dot »

sunnykids wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:20 pm Dot, do you mean you installed your own turbo ?
Hi John,
We have had great help and service from a guy in Melb by the name of Jacko at Nippon Trucks Right now we have stuff everywhere as waiting for carpet cleaner to arrive but I shall find the ph # etc if you would like it. The turbo that was in our bus some how a washer had found it's way into the blades and mangled them so G got the turbo out and had it re conned then we put it back in.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Lance

Post by Lance »

This them Dot ?

https://www.nippontruck.com.au/

......over in Tottenham.
Lance & Annee
Looking for more Music Festival Dates in Victoria 8-)
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

There are quite a few different turbos but only a few different internals.
I suggest before anyone goes & buys a new turbo they check out if it can be reconditioned as Dot says.
I think John's bus doesn't have any turbo at all?..... yet!
If the motor has a lot of km's on it it might be a gamble to turbo it at all.
The fuel pump most likely will need setting to 'compliment' the new turbo?
BruceS
Mannum, SA