The rebuilding of a 1969 Franklin Mini - AKA "The Pumpkin"

Please feel free to describe your motorhome, campervan or caravan. (make, model, length etc)
Grandad

Re: The rebuilding of a 1969 Franklin Mini - AKA "The Pumpkin"

Post by Grandad »

Hmm. Apparently I can only attach 6 photos at a time. Ok. I can deal with that.

After the external ply of course comes some insulation and then the internal ply.
IMG_1032 (Small).JPG
IMG_0877 (Medium) (Small).JPG
Now, at this point I had an idea. I drilled two 100mm diameter holes in the outside wall, and slid two pieces of 100mm PVC pipe in, and then added some screw caps on the outside.
20171106_102057 (Small).jpg
20171106_102119 (Small).jpg
Exactly the same as lots of people do on the bumper bar, but inside. One for the grey water hose and one for annex poles.

Then, a bed base.
IMG_0878 (Medium) (Small).JPG
I used a product called E-Lite plywood. Specifically made for caravans. You wouldn't believe how light it is, but structurally very strong. But, since I've routed some pretty big holes in it, I've added a short leg under the centre and have another to put in the centre of the front, leading edge. Just in case. I do have a tendency to over engineer things.

I've used this E-lite in all the cabinets.

Speaking of which, this in the main one over the kitchen bench.
IMG_1093 (Small).JPG
That'll do me for now. I'll go out and take some more pics to bring us up to date.
Cheers for now

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Grandad on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

Well all I can say is "A man's gotta have a project!" ...
You will be so proud of it when finished .... or maybe when your great grandkids finish it? lol 8-) ;)
Maybe next you can build a houseboat? Be much easier I'd think.
Will you have any problems registering it with new chassis & axle etc?

Shall take a look at fixing the pics later tonight. I'm trying to get some welding/grinding done before this weather turns to crap tomorrow!!!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Jim, That looks fantastic. You have done a bottler job, with a few improvements as well. Now awaiting the next installment.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

BruceS wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:23 pmWill you have any problems registering it with new chassis & axle etc?
It has remained registered throughout it's life with me to this day. Even when it was parked up for years at a time. Caravan reg is SO cheap in Victoria.

Theoretically, I don't need to get anything approved including electrical and gas. Although I will get a pro to do the gas. Maybe not the electrical. Sorry supersparky. I know you will disapprove. I may change my mind. I'm getting a friendly sparky in to put in a new safety switch in the house. I'll probably talk to him about it.

I have thought I should probably update the tare they have on record, but then thought to myself "is that just opening up a can of worms unnecessarily?"
Shall take a look at fixing the pics later tonight. I'm trying to get some welding/grinding done before this weather turns to crap tomorrow!!!
Thank you.

Jim
There Comes a time in life, when you must walk away from all drama and the people who create it
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I'm not sure I put the last one in the right place Jim?
Next time I must write down where it goes before I delete it so I know where to put it back again!!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

supersparky

Post by supersparky »

Jim, I won't be upset. I know that you have made the effort to ensure that the job will be done correctly.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I'm not sure I put the last one in the right place Jim?
Next time I must write down where it goes before I delete it so I know where to put it back again!!

You know you commented about where the Franklin factory was at Wendouree? Well the first truck I had on the road was a car/caravan transporter & I had to pick vans up from Franklin from time to time. There were other places I carted for as well.
Around 1977 or something? The cars were mostly Datsun 120y's, 180B's & later on 200B's ............
BruceS
Mannum, SA

BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I added a bit onto that previous post Jim....
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for your help Bruce. All good,,,, now.

The Wendouree factory was exclusively for the construction of their composite panel walls. They still had the original factory in Bendigo. All the walls were trucked to that plant for assembly. By the late 60's Franklin had smaller workshops scattered around Ballarat making various components and they were assembled at the main factory. Much like our car manufacturers used to do.

If you or anyone is interested, here's a bit more info on the subject
002-1.jpg
002-2.jpg
From time to time, I do have some regrets that I have basically vandalised a vintage van. There's nothing original about the interior. It is after all, a significant model as it represents a major milestone in caravan development in Australia.
To go some small way to rationalise that, I do have a very detailed thread on the Vintage forum outlining how these walls can be rebuilt. I've been told, I was the first to attempt this. So, hopefully someone will one day do a proper restoration of a composite wall Mini.

I never heard a single negative word about my work from any VV'er but I did close the thread down voluntarily once the walls were back on because any further documentation of the rebuild would be against the philosophy of the VV movement. Much like people who find an old bondwood and turn it into a coffee van.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

By the way Bruce, did you ever pick up from AMI or deliver to Eastburn Toyota?