Which meat to feed my pet Part 3

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

Which meat to feed my pet Part 3

Post by Dot »

This is a question I am asked frequently by concerned pet owners, when they have made the choice to swap to a natural, raw meat based diet.

Over the last two weeks I have covered Kangaroo, Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Turkey, Goat and Venison meat choices.

In this week's newsletter, I will talk about some other choices you could make with a balanced fresh meat diet in mind for your pets.

Pork
Pork is high in fat and often not well tolerated by many pets.

Fish
Fish meat is a very good source of protein, low in fat, and high in vitamins and minerals – when it is first caught. If you were to buy fresh fish and lightly cook it for your pets, it would be very good.

Rabbit
Rabbit would have to be one of the most suitable all round meat sources for both dogs and cats. Wild rabbit is very similar to kangaroo, in the sense that it is a free range, organic meat, low in fat, and high in nutritional value.

Tripe
Tripe is the common term for the stomach lining of cattle and sheep, also known as paunch. Green tripe is the term used for un-processed tripe and is highly nutritious as a meat source. It is very low in fat (2%), highly glandular (contains enzymes), and is loaded with probiotic micro organisms. In Australia, Green tripe is very affordable but not always easy to source, sold only as pet meat in a frozen state.

Offal
Offal is the collective term used for organ meats, like liver, kidney, heart, lung etc. Offal is very rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, and ideally, should make up about 20% of a dog or cats meat intake. As a general rule, offal meats should be purchased from your local butcher, and be human grade, as the organs are often home to various parasites, and only human grade organ meats have had additional inspection processes applied to ensure they are free of parasites.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.