Is It Essential for your pets to have annual Vaccinations?

Some of our best mates are pets of all descriptions.
Dot

Is It Essential for your pets to have annual Vaccinations?

Post by Dot »

Is it essential for your pets to have annual vaccinations?
For the many years the veterinary profession has been strong advocates of a yearly vaccination protocol for dogs and cats, fundamentally driven by the pharmaceutical companies that produce the vaccines.

More recent studies have shown that many pets have lifelong immunity from their first few yearly vaccines, and in the worst case, most were protected for at least 3-5 years.

This information applied to distemper, hepatitis and parvovirus, but did not prove true for the kennel cough vaccines, which struggle to last even 12 months.

Combined with evidence that over-vaccination is linked to a number of current diseases (feline vaccine sarcoma, canine hypothyroidism), it has created much debate about the ethical nature of advising yearly vaccines.

What about Kennel Cough?

Kennel Cough vaccines must still be given annually, but this mainly applies to dogs that go to kennels on a regular basis. It’s important to remember that Kennel Cough is a not a deadly disease and most dogs will recover with no treatment at all.

There is now also a registered 3 yearly vaccine, for Distemper, Heapatitis and Parvo virus which has slightly higher levels of antigen. But the reality is, your regular yearly vaccine is most likely going to be quite adequate for 3 years also, as demonstrated via blood test.

Dr Bruce's Suggested Schedule:

The Australian Veterinary Association has officially endorsed 3 yearly vaccinations and I have been advising this type of schedule at my clinic in Castlemaine for over 12 years.

My recommendations are:
-Puppy and kitten vaccines (6 and 12 weeks) and the first annual vaccination, then every 3 years

-Kennel cough vaccines only for dogs that are going to be kennelled within 6 months

-Antibody testing for those clients that just want to know if their pets really do need a top up vaccination
- Older pets (over 10-12 years old) do not require any more vaccinations if they have a good history of vaccination

-Seek an annual health check for your pets, as an early detection of abnormalities is key to an improved outcome.

Did you know?
Antibody testing is a handy way to confirm if your pet really does need a booster vaccination.

Read more about the testing on our website and ask your vet if it’s available at their clinic.
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
TassyJim

Re: Is It Essential for your pets to have annual Vaccinations?

Post by TassyJim »

But if you don't have the vaccination certificate, they are not allowed in the boarding kennels
Until they accept those guidelines, it's an annual jab for my pooches.

Jim
Jim & Jennene with Teddy & Pascale. RIP Scarlet
Used to have Iveco towing a 5th Wheeler
Now back to dreaming again...
Nomad's Almanac
http://www.c-com.com.au/nomad.htm
Dot

Post by Dot »

Yep that is right Jim, I would actually like to see all boarding facilities a bit better scrutinised as there are many that shouldn't be operating, some animals come home with more than they went in with and some times they don't come out at all :(
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Haven't vaccinated my dogs for decades, they have never had any problems, other than a crook gut from eating some ancient road kill. Before I stopped vaccinating them they were always getting something wrong with them, then had one who didn't get jabbed because we were constantly on the road and he was the fittest bloke you could find. Since haven't had any jabbed, except some of the rescued ones probably have been. Out newest one, doesn't even have a chip, which will get done soon as chips are good if they get lost.