How to Share Rest Areas - Rod Hannifey

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
Lance

How to Share Rest Areas - Rod Hannifey

Post by Lance »

Whiteline Television worked with road transport safety advocate and veteran driver Rod Hannifey to produce a video explaining to caravaners how to share truck parking bays.

https://www.ownerdriver.com.au/industry ... rest-areas

This is mainly directed at Caravaners but I'm sure there is a relevance to 'Big-Rig RVs' as well.
Lance & Annee
Looking for more Music Festival Dates in Victoria 8-)
Dot

Re: How to Share Rest Areas - Rod Hannifey

Post by Dot »

I read this on fb and some of the replies were "my caravan / car combination is just about as big as a truck so I think I should be able to park in those areas" :roll: :roll:
Queen of the Banal & OT chatter and proud of it. If it offends you then tough titty titty bang bang.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

With the toad behind us, our rig is 13.6m. About the same size as a LandCruiser pulling a big van.
By default, we already comply with Rod’s advice. We know how hard it is to manoeuvre a big rig between carelessly parked vans!
And we bypass the ‘truck only’ rest stops precisely for the reasons he gave. We don’t need our sleep interrupted by a refrigerator van on our tail at two in the morning!
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Busman

Post by Busman »

We talked to Rod at STC, a nicer guy you could not hope to meet.

As for the comment of a caravan and tug being as big as a truck, he sometimes takes road trains to Darwing, 100 plus tonnes all up, bloody big caravan. !!!!!!!

We have found most to be courteous and communicative, just want to get the job done and get home so we stay out of the way as much as possible.

Pity he has to make vids for the few fools out there.
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Busman wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:44 pm We have found most to be courteous and communicative, just want to get the job done and get home so we stay out of the way as much as possible.

Pity he has to make vids for the few fools out there.
Agree wholeheartedly!
We always get on the CB to let the driver know we’re aware that he’s on a schedule and we’ll get out of his way asap. Usually ask if they know of a place ahead where we can pull off the road for them.
Always found these drivers courteous & patient.
Of course, there are some cowboys out there... usually the ones who don’t respond to our calls & barrel past when safety is marginal. Give them a wide berth! 🙄
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields