Checking vans

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
supersparky

Re: Checking vans

Post by supersparky »

Unfortunately it is only a matter of time before we will all have been called into a weighing station, doesn't matter if you have a M/home or a caravan.
Though it does seem that the caravanners are copping it at the moment. IMHO the best thing to do is get yourself weighed and know how heavy you are BEFORE you cop a fine.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
pet-els

Post by pet-els »

I guess it's only a matter of time until it becomes part of travelling no matter what your rig combination is ... well apart from a houseboat I guess :lol:

T1 Terry
[/quote]

Maybe check the displacement tonnage ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PeterH
PeterH
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

mmm, I thought about that Peter!
If I slowly add water to each pontoon compartment until I sink, then record the litres of water I need to pump out to get floating again ............... :twisted: :evil:
I think I'll wait till after the New Years Eve fireworks display trip??!! :lol: 8-)

As long as you have "experts" on some forums barracking for more inspections & tougher penalties then we'll eventually get them.
Pity these experts don't harp more on body piercing & tattooing or something more important!!
BruceS
Mannum, SA

T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

BruceS wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:00 am mmm, I thought about that Peter!
If I slowly add water to each pontoon compartment until I sink, then record the litres of water I need to pump out to get floating again ............... :twisted: :evil:
I think I'll wait till after the New Years Eve fireworks display trip??!! :lol: 8-)

As long as you have "experts" on some forums barracking for more inspections & tougher penalties then we'll eventually get them.
Pity these experts don't harp more on body piercing & tattooing or something more important!!
It's all an aim to reduce the number of traffic jams while travelling caused by the rubber necks checking out the latest ruined holiday where some poor sole has put their van on its side or roof and scattered the whole lot of their possessions up the road. Same goes for motorhomes that are over weight making braking a rather messy affair in some cases but most definitely addresses the issue of someone without the required licence and vehicle operating skills driving what is really a heavy vehicle.
Only guessing here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a move toward licencing changes where the total mass exceeds the 4.5 tonne, then there will be a real screaming session across the forums.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

Our Girt weighs 8.1t. MR licence required.
Legally we MUST pull in at a manned heavy vehicle checkpoint.
SWMBO has had a HR licence since she was a 25yo newby teacher at a school which owned its own 44 passenger bus. I got my MR only 10yrs ago when we bought Girt.
INVARIABLY if I’m driving the checkpoint bloques wave me through without stopping.
If SWMBO is driving she’s stopped, licence checked and we visit the weighbridge.
No sexism here... :roll:
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Busman

Post by Busman »

On my first trip to Sydney in VP I was unsure if I had to go into weighbridges or not, being a motorhome (about 20 tonnes all up with trailer)
So I just drove past them all down and back and after realising I was supposed to stop waited with bated breath for the notices to arrive.
Been a few years now and still waiting..................
One at Kempsey sign was up and as I drove straight past on the way back guy was looking out the window, just smiled at me !
Go figure !!!!!!!!!!!
I had to deal with Queensland Transport about my Suzy rego not being transferred, couple of guys in one of their lowered hotted up utes (which they book US for !) turned up to sort it.
I asked them about it in Qld as all the signs don't say heavy vehicles over 4.5 tonnes but instead say trucks. He answered "technically you should pull in but if the vehicle is clean (as in washed) we will just wave you through."
So not only sexism applies but dirt as well !
Vanishing Point, almost ready to vanish
Suzuki GV more than ready to go NOW !
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

there is an issue being addressed here, a van gets tipped on its head pretty much every day or so.
WE complain (pretty much every day or so) about rising insurance costs for our rigs.

Just gotta link those 2 statements
bring it on I say