Aussie battery-powered Kombi

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
Lance

Aussie battery-powered Kombi

Post by Lance »

Electric dreams realised with Byron Bay-based EV Kombi
In what sounds like a union made in heaven, a Byron Bay company has just built one of Australia’s first electric (EV) Volkswagen Kombis.

Byron and its alternative lifestyles Hinterland sister town of Nimbin are arguably home to more VW Kombis per capita than anywhere in the world, with their communities deeply concerned with sustainability and environmental issues.

Read on........

https://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/ ... sc.8686185
Lance & Annee
Looking for more Music Festival Dates in Victoria 8-)
native pepper

Re: Aussie battery-powered Kombi

Post by native pepper »

Double post for some reason :roll:
Last edited by native pepper on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Thought about getting an Ev conversion done to a car here in Tas, but the limiting range stops me. Especially when you can get a kona which does over 450klms and many others are coming along. Prices will drop as competition ramps up, until then will continue doing my bit to reduce green house gases, by running my vehicles on veggie oil and savings a fortune when travelling.

Maybe will win lotto and then can get an EV bus with over 1000klms range, but need to buy a lotto ticket first. :? :D
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

NP, we are touring TAS at the mo. I was pleasantly surprised to see that some areas are already set up for EV charging.
I think that some of the council's are a little bit progressive in regard to sustaining their future.
Build it and they will come, as they say.
That Kombi looks pretty good doesn't it. That fella at Byron turns out good looking stuff.
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

UK government gives a £3500 subsidy to people buying electric vehicles.
That translates to $6800 in Oz dollars.
By contrast, NO help here. In fact we pay a premium price for e-vehicles!
I realise there are other urgent demands on government funds: bushfire relief etc. But it seems to me that a subsidy would not only boost e-car sales but also boost the economy overall.
Far better than cutting interest rates.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Greynomad wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:17 am UK government gives a £3500 subsidy to people buying electric vehicles.
That translates to $6800 in Oz dollars.
By contrast, NO help here. In fact we pay a premium price for e-vehicles!
I realise there are other urgent demands on government funds: bushfire relief etc. But it seems to me that a subsidy would not only boost e-car sales but also boost the economy overall.
Far better than cutting interest rates.
You are not thinking like politician Ray, too many $$ into political campaigns from those with interests in keeping the fossil fuel industry ticking over just like it always has and $$ coming in from fuel tax to pay for the retirement pensions. The govt would loose money if it supported electric vehicle sales, better to do token gestures towards supporting start up electric vehicle manufacturers to win votes while taking the funding away from other such companies at the crucial just before release point so the go belly up .... the mob that were building the electric buses in Victoria is a good example.
Until laws get the pollies hands out of big business pockets, things will always happen that way in Australia and we will never actually get ahead of the game.
Can you imagine the Tesla "big battery" ever happening in South Australia with the current state and federal govt? Even if Elon said it would be free if he didn't get it up and working in time ..... imagine if the same rules applied to other projects that were funded by the govt?
The fact the they did achieve it, that it works better than expected and actually generates income from the power surges that previously knocked out power grids, we still have those who are clueless about how it actually works, telling us it doesn't work when it does ...... What hope do we have as a nation with a mentality like that supposed to be guiding us out of the hole we have dug ourselves.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

supersparky wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:19 am NP, we are touring TAS at the mo. I was pleasantly surprised to see that some areas are already set up for EV charging.
I think that some of the council's are a little bit progressive in regard to sustaining their future.
Build it and they will come, as they say.
That Kombi looks pretty good doesn't it. That fella at Byron turns out good looking stuff.
Have a friend who has a kona highlander and there are more than 20 charging sites round Tas, they have circumnavigated the state and with their range, had no trouble. Have been on a couple of trips with them and would grab a kona instantly if had the money, they are excellent and extremely comfortable and so quiet. Also had a ride in a tesla S and my osteopaths nissan leaf which has the big battery and was imported from Japan second hand, but the Kona seems way ahead.

Yep the kombi does look good, but they have such short ranges which for me and many others I know who are interested in getting an EV, that's the drawback with conversions and many Ev's.

Pretty wet day down here rain hasn't stopped since last night and pretty heavy, had 36mm overnight. Dogs refused to go out this morning until they could hold it in no longer. Was hilarious watching my Kelpie tiptoeing through the puddles and trying to fit under a bush to do his business, just got wetter. Didn't like me laughing either had a very pissed off look at me when he came back in, which made me laugh more. :lol: :roll:
native pepper

Post by native pepper »

Gotta change the political system Terry before anything decent happens in this country, but won't hold my breath waiting for that. There are but two choices politically in this country and they are exactly the same in outcomes and approach.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

native pepper wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:24 pm There are but two choices politically in this country and they are exactly the same in outcomes and approach.
Yup.
Tweedle-dumb
and
Tweedle-dumber.
🙄
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

Just finished reading a book about a futuristic exploration trip to Venus that was funded by a "go Fund me" page :lol: When they got into trouble and needed assistance on the return journey, the US govt along with other govts were saying it was just too hard and they wouldn't commit when n intern burst in and said it had already been decided by a world wide poll on the web and what the govt thought was not important :P Maybe it's time the thinking people of Australia stopped listening to vested interests that seem to run our govts at the moment and let them know their actions at the moment are not acceptable and they could be looking at a public no confidence motion where none of them get a guernsey or in proper contact football, a jersey ;) Every one marks their ballot paper with an extra box and "None of the above" written beside it.

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO