Falls of a roof or ladder

This section is for any articles of news that you come across that are of interest to other members. Please write a short description and then provide a link to the relevent website of the item. Please be aware that sometimes the website showing the details may be removed. If you later on find the link not working, please advise a Mod so it can be removed.
2foot6

Falls of a roof or ladder

Post by 2foot6 »

There seems to be many experts on this forum giving advise and helpful info on falling from a roof or a ladder. I can only assume many of us have done this deed,it would be interesting to know just how common this problem is in the community.Maybe we could start a list of these brave people who think I'll be right mate.
I am such a person who fell from a ladder stepping onto the roof of our house,then landing on our concrete driveway which is harder than I thought.A few broken ribs,fractured sternum,broken ankle and corruption of data in my defibrillator(how and why)and a week in intensive coronary care.That was almost three years ago and I don't climb ladders anymore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: Falls of a roof or ladder

Post by T1 Terry »

I had the ladder slip out from under me a while back in the workshop, did the sideways lean, leg tangled in the rungs and saved face planting by sticking my arm out so the hand met the floor first. Tried to get untangled and just couldn't, so I had to yell for help. After a few scrapes and bruises and a very injured pride, I have now made a combination two stage ladder and scaffold in the middle that all locks together making a very wide foot print so it can't tip over.
The next step will be to attach a long strap to the extension ladder so the top can be tied off on the other side of the vehicle, the bottom is already tied back to the vehicle body before I step foot on it. I got off light the first time, have no desire to try my luck again :lol:

T1 Terry
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
jon_d

Post by jon_d »

I believe Uncle Fester fell off a ladder too.
fest.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
supersparky

Post by supersparky »

2foot6 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:23 pm There seems to be many experts on this forum giving advise and helpful info on falling from a roof or a ladder. I can only assume many of us have done this deed,................
Peter, do you reckon that most of us are able to offer our expertise, because we have the voice of experience. :D I have had some slips, trips and fall from ladders, and so far (touch wood) I haven't needed the ambulance. I am now extremely wary about working off ladders or working at height.
T1 has a top idea of tying off over the top of whatever.., bloody good idea. No matter what we do, the older we get the more brittle our bones. Ten foot tall and bulletproof we aren't anymore. Most of us on these pages are old farts, and don't bounce.
Jon, you are most unkind :roll: :roll: :lol:
Cheers
David

David and Terrie with Bandit the travelling companion
2006 Winnebago Alpine
Recently retired and loving it.
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

I fell from guttering height, don't remember falling, only remember turning the hose on & the feeling of cold water, next thing I remember is the paramedic telling me, " stay with me Shirley & asking me questions enroute to JH hospital, " think I feinted, split my head open & broke 2 ribs, I was out cold on the ground, spent 10 days in hospital, several scans, X-rays & tests, my ribs took some time to heal, only feinted once before when I was about 20yrs old took coloxyl tablets went off to the loo which was in the back yard, when I didn't return, Bruce came looking for me & found me laying on the grass. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not allowed to climb on ladders anymore even get scolded if I stand on a chair. :D
Shirley & Bruce.
dream4red

Post by dream4red »

Twenty five years ago, hubby fell off the roof and broke his back. 8 weeks in hospital and 3 months at home. He is now quite mobile and rarely has difficulty with back ache and is not allowed up ladders.
A mate fell of a ladder , a few years ago, and made such a serious mess of his leg and shoulder that he had 6 months in various hospitals and is still having physio just to be able to walk.
Deborah

Just get out there and enjoy life
Macca

Post by Macca »

Two weeks ago, after hearing the boss say the solar panels needed cleaning I contacted our apprentice carpenter grandson who came down last Sunday - no more on the roof for ageing men!
Time is passing too quickly so live life to the full with your spouse/partner while you still have she/he by your side.
http://bkmcl.wordpress.com/2013/03/12/o ... m-24-2-13/#
2foot6

Post by 2foot6 »

An interesting point , I was the second roof fall of the day for the local ambos.As reported by the local newspaper,three days later twelve people fell from ladders in one day in the local area after the weather bureau warned of approaching storms . :shock: :)
Newcastle George

Post by Newcastle George »

Peter, you must live in an area where a large percentage of residents have defective balance. :) ;)

I have been out mowing the lawn and trimming the edges this morning, no ill effects.

George
George, Julie, Leonie & Sean - Kotara, Newcastle
DIY 11.5M 1979 Bedford, Nissan/UD FE6T motor
2foot6

Post by 2foot6 »

you must live in an area where a large percentage of residents have defective balance.

You are probably right George,one has to think why do they have defective balance.Glad to see are are up and about the garden,you seem to have made a quick recovery :) :) :)