How do you go about changing bus rego to motorhome rego

One question at a time please & once the person asking the question is happy with the answer they'll say "next question please" & anyone can chime in with the next question. (fun, fun, fun!)
themackas

How do you go about changing bus rego to motorhome rego

Post by themackas »

Hi everyone,we are just wondering if anyone knows, how you go about changing the buses rego, over from a bus to a motorhome,eg- a new compiance plate,with different weights,and where can you go to get the compliance plate and different weights done.. Our bus is registered to carry 2, but our gross weight is 19100, and we would like to get that changed to a lower weight, and get the bus registered as a recreational vehicle, the bus is registered in Queensland, but we are currently in Victoria.
'The Mackas'
Michelle & Macka,
on the road in our motorhome
with our dog 'Mack'
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Re: How do you go about changing bus rego to motorhome rego

Post by T1 Terry »

Weigh up the costs v savings first, an engineer's certificate is required and then a trip to the registry dept in what ever state you plan to register it, a comparison between Vis and SA could be interesting. Please let up know how you get on, as far as I know, to transfer interstate, as long as you are the registered owner, you just rock up at the counter with $$ in your hand.
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
BruceS
Site Admin

Post by BruceS »

I did a bit of investigating this several years ago. My queries were in SA.
I believe things have changed a little now though to bring all mainland states inline.
It used to be much cheaper & a lot less hassle to get either SA or Tassie registration.
Tassie you need to go there so you have to factor ferry costs into the equation.
My enquiry was ...
1. What does it take to have a truck declared a "mobile caravan" in SA?
2. What does it take to have a bus declared a "mobile caravan" in SA?
Both got almost the exact same answer.
If the vehicle, by looking at/in it obviously can not be used to earn income or charge another for it's useage and it has somewhere to sleep in it and somewhere to cook a meal then it can be declared a "mobile caravan".
I asked if the driver has to be able to access the caravan part without stepping out of the cab and after a long phone call by them from Mount Gambier to Adelaide (Regency Park) the answer was NO!
That meant if you threw a bed & a gas stove in the back of a rigid pantechnicon it could be classed as a "mobile caravan".

Now the registration is no cheaper than a truck! The advantage is... no log book required.
When I changed my Bedford bus over to SA Reg from Tassie I just had to get the local Policeman to look at & verify the engine number. No roadworthy inspection or any other green, pink, orange or other colour slip.
I believe that heavy vehicles (over 4.5t) now require a roadworthy but I'm not sure on that.
I'd suggest you'd need to check up on current requirements.
Pretty sure heavy vehicles don't even need annual inspecions in SA yet either. (I know they never used to)
BruceS
Mannum, SA

flexitdriver

Post by flexitdriver »

When I did this in WA in 2008, I started with an ex-school bus which had a compulsory twice a year inspection.
First stripped out all seating except two, removed 'school bus' signage, got weighbridge certificate, then proceeded over Dept Transport Pit and requested registration as a 'panel van'.
After fitout to motorhome, got weighbridge certificate, then proceeded over DoT Pit and requested 'colour change', 'weight change' and classification to 'mobile caravan'.
Easy-peasy, no engineer cert needed as no structural changes, no more compulsory inspections and registration and third party insurance less than half. :D :D

regards
Al
Shirley

Post by Shirley »

We did the same in NSW, purchased old school bus (Coaster) on transfer of rego registered it as a 'panel van', after fit out complete had Engineer inspection & registered same as a M.H. Engineer certificate needed in NSW.
Shirley.
Shirley & Bruce.
nedskelly

Post by nedskelly »

I asked at Qld RTA about down gradeing GVM to reduce cost and need for yearly RTA over the pit inspections to yearly roadworthy inspection by certified place, was told that it was not dependendant on weight but number of axles, we have tags/3 axles therefore in Qld pit inspection by RTA is compulsory.
Regards
Gary
Gary,Trish & Pepper
"We're out there in The Longyard"