Home solar

A lot of us have homes we spend some time in. Discussions can be about any topic that may be of interest that you can think of... renovations, purchases, expenses, etc, etc
BruceS
Site Admin

Re: Home solar

Post by BruceS »

Am I confused?
3500kW??
Or should it be 3.5kW?
Or maybe 3500w??
I read on another forum where someone just bought a 3500kW generator to run a welder. It'd run our town I reckon?
BruceS
Mannum, SA

Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Er... previous post should have read 3.5kW - or 3500W. :roll:
Appy-polly-gollies.
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
T1 Terry
Location: Mannum South Australia by the beautiful Murray River

Post by T1 Terry »

RussellB[SA] wrote:
Swisslulu wrote:We just sold our home with a 3Kw system which gave us .55c per kw fed into the grid via AGL. The buyers were somewhat disappointed that they won't get the same rebate. But they will have vastly reduced bills so not all bad. I think we paid about $8K for our system in 2011.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In SA the feed in tariff is transferable to new owners, check your states feeding tariff rules.

Russell
But not necessarily at the rate of the original feed in tariff, if it has reduced for new connections after a certain date the new account is viewed as a new connection and is paid at the reduced rate.

They caught NSW solar owners big time both ways with this set up. In NSW, all solar generated is fed directly to the grid, then any power used by the household is purchased back from the grid supplier. When the feed in tariff was 60 cents and the purchase price was 20 cents everyone thought this was like a gift. and signed up to very expensive systems believing this was adding value to their house.
Then the rate dropped, new connections are 8 cents, yet buy in price is time based and peak period is 44 cents, so they buy the solar for 8c and immediately sell it back for 44c, without every needing the use of the grid or their supply from the electrical generators, and zero maintenance cost, this is the responsibility of the system owner. Conned big time, fancy thinking the govt or any business would give away money for nothing :roll: Unless the original system owner keeps their house for the pay back period or longer, they will never regain the financial outlay, some new buyers are actually adding a write down value due to the solar as they now have more expensive smart meter billing as well as solar to maintain and insure.
The only way to get ahead of the game is add more financial outlay and add a battery system so their solar energy is stored and can be used during peak billing periods. Only the solar generated power they can't store is sold back to the grid
A person may fail many times, they only become a failure when they blame someone else John Burrows
If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO
Bobrovin

Post by Bobrovin »

If that National company was not old fashioned ;) I would steer well clear for any of their products.
Bob
BernieQ2

Post by BernieQ2 »

Hi Ray been busy building shelves in bus but your question were they national, I don't but probably 'true value solar' from Melbourne. Brisbane office contractors done the install.
We have G/Kids here so spar is on with the heater running was spinning the meter earlier but now just slowly moving Inverter says just on 2Kw from solar at this time.
I negotiated the price when I first called them they told me $5000. I told them to ring me when it was under $3000. After many calls from them each with a reduction in price they finally said $2999. I said sold put it on.
So don't just take what they say, keep negotiating.
Bernie.
Greynomad

Post by Greynomad »

HMMM...
Our $9,500 quote was from the Wangaratta franchise of True Value Solar...
Regards & God bless,
Ray
--
"Insufficient data for a meaningful answer."
Isaac Asimov, "The Last Question"

"I refuse to drink water, because of the disgusting things fish do in it"
W.C.Fields
Swisslulu

Post by Swisslulu »

Just received a text from AGL to tell me our solar refund (after final reading) for $6.94 has been processed. :D As we were running the A/C flat chat during the whole packing/cleaning process, I'm pleased we didn't end up with a bill!
Cheers
Lesley
Our Blog: http://lesleyanderich.wordpress.com
WendyG

Post by WendyG »

testing posting pics
sue's bed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
glenda

Post by glenda »

Good on you Berie, a smart move
Glenda & JP
Hino 9mtr Bus-Conversion, Batteries: 200Ah x 24v LiFePO4. Solar: 260W x 24v Kyocera. Fridge: 240L x 24v Vitrifrigo. Inverter: 3000W x 24v Gen-Power. Etc.
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

I wonder if one could sell the house but not the "connection"
Thus the original owner could sell / buy power to both the electrical company and the new owner after renting roof space and some wires from him / her.
There would be insurance of course but business is business